Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Bluegills Have Moved

1553 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  RLWagner
Anybody else experiencing this? Normal spots are not producing. I know there are still plenty of fish in the lake and they still have to eat. Small bowl-shaped lake. Deepest part is about 40 feet. Been catching them in 8 to 12 feet of water, now they are hanging out somewhere else. Any tips on how to pattern these mid-winter fish?
Reactions: Sparky23
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Move out deep from where you were catching them. They tend to roam around suspended in 20-40 fow which can be hard to pattern from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reactions: leadbelly
I'm no expert ice fisherman, but it seems as the weeds go away, the gills move deeper or to other structure.
Go deeper! As the weeds die, oxygen is depleted.
I'm no expert ice fisherman, but it seems as the weeds go away, the gills move deeper or to other structure.
Mid winter bite is toughest part of season. I’ll be making holes Saturday. Been slow in Washtenaw County this year.
Looks like I need to cut more holes

Sent from my Pixel using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Reactions: J Sibert
Piscatorial,

Normally that lake will freeze first of January, this year it has had 4-5 additional weeks of ice. I have found the same situation. head to the opposite end of the lake on warmer days, as there is a little flowage of oxygenated water down there.

Also, the first point on your right as you travel out, has a weed line 17-21' just prior to the point. I have found green weeds here late in the year. The perch move in there as well. Important to use motor oil plastics to mimic the blood worms in there.Use these tails on bluegill fry jigs that mimic the bait-fish nursery that exists here.

Once you nab a decent gill or perch in there, check out the stomach contents, you will be surprised how much it has changed since early ice.

This is all assuming you are referring to the lake we speak of on a regular basis.
When the weeds die the fish move to deeper water. Also if you are fishing a community hole fish become pressured or vacate the area. Most of the lakes I've been on the weeds have been holding up nicely. The weather has been like a yo-yo and that has helped but also has the fish messed up. Seems the weather is going to finally be steady for a bit which is a good thing and the fish can get back on track.

Try bumping out to deeper water or fishing areas that are less pressured. Also smaller presentations can make a world of difference.

I also like to check around an inlet, use caution when checking these areas. Moving water=fresh oxygen and food.

Yesterday I fished a very small lake that sees a little bit of pressure. Went to the go to area, not much was going on. I downsized and swung for the fence. After poking around a few different locations I was on fish and active fish at that. Ended up with my personal limit of 15 fish.
Food Fish Cuisine Ingredient Marine biology

Good luck!
Punched 10 holes off that point from 7 feet of water to 20' a week ago in front of the green house. I got no bites but, I was fishing with minnows looking for perch and specks. Maybe I should go back there with waxies. How have you been doing on the pike this year Robert?

Piscatorial,

Normally that lake will freeze first of January, this year it has had 4-5 additional weeks of ice. I have found the same situation. head to the opposite end of the lake on warmer days, as there is a little flowage of oxygenated water down there.

Also, the first point on your right as you travel out, has a weed line 17-21' just prior to the point. I have found green weeds here late in the year. The perch move in there as well. Important to use motor oil plastics to mimic the blood worms in there.Use these tails on bluegill fry jigs that mimic the bait-fish nursery that exists here.

Once you nab a decent gill or perch in there, check out the stomach contents, you will be surprised how much it has changed since early ice.

This is all assuming you are referring to the lake we speak of on a regular basis.
The perch will readily hit the rig I referenced, providing you use motor oil wedgie style thin tails.

Have speared pike everytime out sans twice. Been a good year, but need a 46 inch upgrade LOL

Few picks in the Darkhouse under Team 9
Punched 10 holes off that point from 7 feet of water to 20' a week ago in front of the green house. I got no bites but, I was fishing with minnows looking for perch and specks. Maybe I should go back there with waxies. How have you been doing on the pike this year Robert?
Reactions: piscatorial warrior
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.