Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never eatten bluegill before and got my limit the other day. Can anyone suggest a recipe? Any help would be appreciated?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Theres a limit on Bluegill??? with five kids I've never considered it.

Yep. Shore lunch or your own breadding mix is great. I'll post a killer recipe for hushpuppies. nuthin like hushpuppies & bluegill.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
dipped in drakes batter and deep fried.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coat in flour, then dip in eggwash, and roll in cracker crumbs (either Ritz or Townhouse - roll very fine with a rolling pin in a ziplock bag) and fry in peanut oil. A little more work, but hard to beat.

·
Registered
26,589 Posts
Send them to me, those things can be extremely toxic if handled incorrectly :) :D :lol: :dizzy:

Just pullin' your chain, Drakes batter mix, little beer, and two eggs. Make the batter medium thick, fry in butter flavored crisco (if you think you'll like that) and brown on both sides.

·
Registered
617 Posts
DangerDan

I'm watching for that killer Hush Puppies recipe Mmm Mmm Good w/gills

As for the gills I also like the Drakes & Beer for a "wet" batter
If you like a "drier" thin coating I like this stuff I came across at a local shop here in sw Mi

It's: Deer Hunter 22-10 "Fisherman's Beer Batter Mix" and comes in a clear plastic 1 lb package
says on the bottom of the label:
Distributed by Butcher & Packer Supply Co
1468 Gratiot
Detroit Mi
ph: 1-800-521-3188

The nice thing about this stuff is that it's not messy---just pour some in a plastic bag and shake to coat the fish---and listed in the ingredients is
Spray Dried Beer :dizzy:
Both this coating and the Drakes n Beer are excellent---now where's those Hush Puppies:corkysm55

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
3/4 cup yellow corn meal
1/3 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter milk
1 egg
1/4 cup finely chopped omions

Mix these ingredients and heat a pot of shortening or veg. oil. Drop in batter by tablespoonfuls fry until golden brown.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks for the recipe DangerDan ---I'll give em a try

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
617 Posts
DangerDan said:
3/4 cup yellow corn meal
1/3 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter milk
1 egg
1/4 cup finely chopped omions

Mix these ingredients and heat a pot of shortening or veg. oil. Drop in batter by tablespoonfuls fry until golden brown.

Thank You Once Again DangerDan! Finally had the opportunity this evening to give your Hush Puppy recipe a try. All I can say is ---they were absolutely deeeelicious :corkysm55 :corkysm55 :corkysm55
To anybody who likes Hush Puppies with their fish fry a batch of these up next time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Another good Hushpuppy recipe is......

Take the leftover Drakes and beer batter and add cornmeal, flour and chopped onions. Spoon into frier.
They're great that way and you don't waste the batter.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That sounds like a winner too---maybe we should start a Hush Puppy thread :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wip up a couple eggs, throw a few pretzels in the blender and mix with drakes. SLap them in some hot canola oil. Makes my mouth water

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Pat the fillets dry, shake in Golden Dipt Fish Fry mix (dry-not batter), fry for 2 1/2 min in 375 degree oil. Lightly salt, a dash of lemon juice.....OH MYYYYY!

Jim

·
Registered
617 Posts
Enoughs Enough!

Please, no more Bluegill recipes until I can catch some fresh ones, I have none and I can't catch any with the crumby ice---can't ice fish, can't get the boat out :help: :help: :help: Can't take it anymore :dizzy: :confused:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
We like to dip the fillets in egg and then coat them with Progresso Italian bread crumbs before frying them. Fantastic!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts