Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was surprised to see a lot of blue bird activity around our bird house the last few weeks so I took a peak inside and 3 blue birds chicks are in it.

Their early attempts to nest in the spring were not successful due to sparrows, 2 sets of eggs were pecked apart by the sparrows. Virtually no bluebirds around all June but I noticed them around more in July and heavy activity lately as they are feeding their young.

Is this late nesting activity normal for bluebirds?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Many songbirds will keep going all summer into early fall trying to get their biological duty done. The problem is that it will likely be for naught. Bluebirds take around 3 weeks to fledge from the nest, and even then, they're not really able to care for themselves - that's not leaving a lot of time to grow strong enough to survive the energy-taxing migration they have ahead of them (even though bluebirds have relatively short migrations).

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife and I have maintained and monitored 41 bluebird houses on Crab Orchard NWR in far southern IL for 10 years as part of an ongoing international study. We're a lot farther south than MI (actually farther south than Louisville, KY) and the first nests are present early in April. We start in the first week of March by repairing and replacing houses and are on the refuge weekly throughout the summer. We made our last run of the season last Saturday and looking at the log books find that normally when we end around mid-August we have had few if any birds still actively nesting in the area. I believe most of our birds actually pulled out early this year and went farther north in search of cooler climate and may well have made it to MI or WI. It was unbearably hot and dry for most of the summer and nesting birds do not do well in 100+ degree weather. At the end of the season we had four or five houses that had had eggs in them for over three weeks that we finally cleaned out. I have two houses on my property and haven't seen a bluebird here for over a month and a half. I'm betting they have gone on a northern vacation. Neat birds and very clean nesters.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
My birds were done last year by mid-July having successfully hatched out two clutches, and didn't try a third time. My buddy had a pair hatch out nestlings in early August, but they were gone by this time last year. That was a third clutch for his pair of birds.

This year, I had problems with a pair of Cooper's Hawks that nested nearby...so finally moved the house in mid-June. New spot had a nest in it a couple of weeks later. Four chicks that were gone by first week of August, and no attempts after that. I pulled the two houses, one of which is used as a tree swallow decoy, keeps them from harassing the bluebirds, a little bit more than a week ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts