Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been looking at the Bloomfield twp. Code of ordinances, and am confused as to whether or not bow hunting is allowed.

From what it looks like here, it’s not NOT allowed to bow hunt, it looks like it just means no gun hunting. Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd say it seems promising to bow hunt, but I'd call the township and ask.
Better than that, get something in writing from the township. Odds are you're going to talk to someone who doesn't know their own ordinances, let alone the different types of hunting, so do not take someone at their word. Cover yourself leagally as much as possible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys I have been looking at the Bloomfield twp. Code of ordinances, and am confused as to whether or not bow hunting is allowed.

From what it looks like here, it’s not NOT allowed to bow hunt, it looks like it just means no gun hunting. Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I ran into something similar in Northville Twp. I emailed the township and they responded and pointed out another law that prohibited hunting. See attached photo.

IMG_1240.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
I ran into something similar in Northville Twp. I emailed the township and they responded and pointed out another law that prohibited hunting. See attached photo.

View attachment 777474

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Wow that is kind of interesting. That is a classic case of a non hunter trying to hassle a hunter in my opinion. Laws are carefully written and words have meanings. I would challenge anyone to show me where the meaning of hunting can be interchanged with the word slaughter within a statute. The slaughtering in the township rule was likely over the commercial acitivity of a slaughter house or something back in the day.

If bownhunting was covered under the slaughter rule than why would they need a seperate hunting rule for a firearm?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
you can't be that faraway, I would drive to the township hall, ask, then ask for documentation. I guess I didn't know there would be enough vacant property in bloomfield, , good luck

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Wow that is kind of interesting. That is a classic case of a non hunter trying to hassle a hunter in my opinion. Laws are carefully written and words have meanings. I would challenge anyone to show me where the meaning of hunting can be interchanged with the word slaughter within a statute. The slaughtering in the township rule was likely over the commercial acitivity of a slaughter house or something back in the day.

If bownhunting was covered under the slaughter rule than why would they need a seperate hunting rule for a firearm?
100% agree. All the code 53.3-G says (I looked it up online for Northville Twp) is "The slaughtering of animals is not permitted. "

So they screwed that up. No way does slaughter pertain to hunting, it has a specific meaning.

BUT, their real screwup was not referencing the correct code, which is quite explicit that hunting is not permitted with any type of weapon within Northville Twp

"
§ 93-1Hunting prohibited.
[Amended 5-18-2017]
It shall be unlawful for any person or persons, whether residents of this or any other state, to hunt with firearms, bow and arrow, crossbow or any other weapon in or upon any lands or premises in the Township. A violation of this section shall result in the forfeiture of any weapon used contrary to this section.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up calling the township ordinance department, the police department, and the DNR and they all gave me the thumbs up for bowhunting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts