Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here use the super copper from Blood Run Tackle? Likes/dislikes? Can't seem to find Howies Super Copper in a 1000' bulk spool. Sounds like it very similar to the Howies.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Most of my custom rod customers are either using it already or requesting it. It has to be good stuff for these guys to run it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The copper from Blood Run is top notch. I use the 32# and find it to be way more user friendly than the 45#. The 32# deploies a lot like core, and take up about the same amount on you spool.
Unless you really need the extra depth 45# produces, go with 32#.
We got a bunch of fish last year off both the 250' and 350' 32#.

·
Registered
430 Posts
either way you go 32 or 45 from blood run you will be happy..just spooled a 450 and 300 of 45# and 300 250 200 and 150 of 32#..they have a depth chart on theyre website for the 32# @2.5 mph sog and with a divisible of .2 you can figure youre depth approximation very easily..say you want a rod that ends up about 60ft deep(60divided by .2=300)50 deep(50 divided by .2=250 feet of 32#copper)and so on

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the 45lb from them. Just for anyone else interested. I thought I might get by with an Okuma Clarion CLR-453LS which is the high speed retrieval rate. Spooled up with 50lb power pro, 150yds, for backer. 30 ft of 50lb mono to attach board. I could only comfortable get 225ft of wire on this setup. Looks like I will have to go to the CLS-553LS to get to 300 ft. Factory had the wrong line capacity stated on there website. When I purchased reel the line capacities on the reel were different, less capacity. I contacted the factory and they replied the reel info was correct. They have since fixed there website but replied the 2011 catalogs were printed with the wrong info.

·
Registered
403 Posts
How does the Howie 45# compare to the Blood Run 45#? Blood Run only sells in a 1000' spool and I need only 500'. Going to make a 300' and 200' then change to 32#

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't really tell you because this is my first copper setups. Blood run is tinned like the Super Howies. I went with the Blood run on the recommendations here and other forums. Doing multiple setups so the 1000' worked for me. I think the Outdoorsman in Jenison is going to use Blood run this year for spooling up reels. You could get your lengths there?

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
How does the Howie 45# compare to the Blood Run 45#? Blood Run only sells in a 1000' spool and I need only 500'. Going to make a 300' and 200' then change to 32#
Get the extra, you will need it to replace damaged segments or add some lengths down the road. Tangles happen and it is easy to retie on the water with a haywire twist. You can't retie if you dont have extra wire on hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts