Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys heat your hunting blinds? I'm getting ready to start building my first elevated blind as soon as turkey season wraps up. I've looked at the little wood burners, the mr. buddies, and other propane heaters. Anyone have a favorite? (dumb question, but...)Do you still need to be careful of carbon monoxide with a wood burner? Does the smoke bother the deer?

Thanks a lot guys.

To Terry Tough Nuts - please dont reply with "I'm so hardcore, I dont need a heater"

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have a two-burner propane stove in mine. I ran a 20 ft. hose from the blind down to a 20lb. tank which sits on the ground. It will heat the blind nicely, and if you want to heat up your lunch you can. I got the stove from Cabela's. It is the 2-burner blind stove model. Can't remember the price it has been a few years now.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I use a small coffee can with a roll of toilet paper in it. Pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol in and light.

·
Premium Member
29,756 Posts
I've always used a mr. heater, but don't like the noise. A guy I used to work with made a small homade woodburner using the out of date 20lb. propane tanks. cut a hole near top for smoke stack that he put on using water heater vent pipe, and cut door in side and put on hinge. Said it worked great, just would gather up some wood on way in or out depending on morning or evening and leave it in blind till next time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda like the idea of the wood burner, epecially if I can use it and not have to have a window open like with propane, but I worry about the deer being spooked at all by the smoke.

I now have a mini-version of that two burner one.. it's supposed to be a mini "stove" (one burner) that goes on top of one of the disposable tanks. It has worked good and is fairly quiet but doesnt do much for heat besides to warm your hands. The blind I'm building is going to twice the size of my tiny ground blind, hence looking for something a little more permanent.

·
Premium Member
29,756 Posts
anthology86 said:
I kinda like the idea of the wood burner, epecially if I can use it and not have to have a window open like with propane, but I worry about the deer being spooked at all by the smoke.

I now have a mini-version of that two burner one.. it's supposed to be a mini "stove" (one burner) that goes on top of one of the disposable tanks. It has worked good and is fairly quiet but doesnt do much for heat besides to warm your hands. The blind I'm building is going to twice the size of my tiny ground blind, hence looking for something a little more permanent.

I don't think the smoke or smell of wood burning would spook them. If anything it might cover some of the human scent which they definately know.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Nu way out of I believe rogers city area makes them. Really small noise from them but deer and turkeys don't mind. On my newer ones you can't hear a thing. Be sure to vent and check for nest before you fire them up:lol: .m:D

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
mr heater is my buddy. 20 lb tanks and 12' hose. tanks outside of pop-up and i think the only noise that bothered the deer was my ***300mag*** going off. well, at least the ones still standing. nothing more enjoyable than spending a day out in the woods, marsh, lake, and staying warm!

·
Registered
18,884 Posts
I have used the Mr. Buddy heater with no problems in my blind. What little bit of noise there is hasn't spoked any of the bucks I've shot in the past and they are safe to use inside.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
But makes you wonder how much 'hunting' really gets done. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the girlfriend idea.. but I still havent been able to get mine out in the woods... at least not with a gun. My lifelong struggle is to convert her from her anti-stance. We watched the girl and her dad trapping beaver on Michigan Out-of-doors this week and that didnt really help my cause - :rant:

The overall feeling I get from you guys is a propane with a 20lber attached. I was kinda thinking that, especially after I found out that carbon monoxide is still produced when you burn wood. I dont really see a benefit to wood now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Doesn't matter whether you're burning wood or propane, carbon monoxide is produced. You have to be careful with any unvented fuel burning equipment inside an enclosed space, even the ones that the manufacturers say are okay for use in tents and shanties.
The vented heaters, like Nu-Way's propane and wood fired heaters, are less likely to produce elevated levels of CO in a blind. Venting the heater would be difficult in most cloth blinds but is easy to do in a permanent wooden blind.

I use one of the Coleman "Cat" heaters in my cloth blind and I keep a window open and my head above the opening. My wife has a vented Nu-Way LP heater in her wooden blind. Neither heater seems to bother the deer.

Lindsey

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Shoot i use my mr buddy... in my tree stand let alone my blind... Tell ya what those cold, windless days makes for a great sit with that thing below my seat, and yea I see deer with is being there

1 - 20 of 68 Posts