Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Buddy heater (4,000 to 9,000 btu model fell today and broke the heater tile in half so I'm now in the market to get a new heater. Couple questions, has anyone had to replace any parts on a buddy heater before? Mine is five years old, beat up, but was working fine. Is it worth fixing?

Even if I fix my buddy heater, it made me think maybe I need a back up. Does anyone use an older style mister heater? Does the hissing noise spook deer in close with that style?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Never had to replace parts on the buddy heater as the one we have is still working. My dad runs a three plaque wall mount 28000 BTU heater and that is an option:dizzy: Warmer than home

As for the Mr. Heaters, cant stand um that hiss may or may not annoy the deer but it sure is annoying to me. Plus covering the hole with tape to get it right is a PIA

·
Registered
345 Posts
after xmas lowes will clearance out all there heaters... last year
i picked up like 3 buddy heats for like 29 or 39 a piece, they also have an agdapter hose and filter you can get to run off a 20lb or larger tank...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have just recently been using the Mr.Buddy brand of heaters.I was in the market for a new heater and came on here to get opinions and Mr. Buddy won hands down.I bought mine brand new at Dunhams for $69.00.It says on web sites that the ceramic tile plate is easily replaced.One thing to look out for is that the style has changed,my friend has a Mr.Buddy that is also 5 or 6 years old and it is different than mine,the heating tile may be different as well.You mentioned that you may be looking for a back up heater or a replacement.the Coleman Blackcat is a good option,to tell you the truth I like my Coleman a little better than the Mr.Buddy.If I were to do it again I would have bought another Coleman.

·
Registered
47 Posts
These are made right here in Michigan very quiet, no light and very warm. nuwaystoves .com ( can't put a url in because I'm a beginner)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The Buddy Heater has features that makes it okay to use indoors as wellas out. Most heaters don't have this. Being the CO Sensor it has as well as the tip over feature. As for Parts you can get parts for new or old ones they will give you information if you contact them they provide emails with pictures and step by step instructions how to replace any part on them. The only thing that has changed is the regulator they have used 2 different ones and provide a picture to know which one you may need. As for th hiss if you step outside of the blind you will not hear it it is because you are sitting inside and the sound bounces off the walls and seems louder than it really is. Also the deer won't notice it either unless they stick their head inside the blind. As for the heater there is a Big Buddy also it is larger and it requires 2 - 1 lb or a Y adapter to connect to both inputs on this larger heater. They have also come out with a better hose for use with a 20 lb tank the original the oil / rubber cloggs up the regulator on them unless you use a filter which they came out with but they have a different type hose that you can get direct from them though they are out of stock currently but suggest they will have them in soon.

I like the Buddy Heater because I sleep in my box blind over night and like the added safety these have and so far I have had only one issue the regulator because I got the regulator clogged up because of no filter used with the hose. You can find them now and then on sale in different stores like Menards, Lowes and Dunhams if you have any near by.

The safety Feature is key for me... And they are simple to use and with 20 lb tank not extra trash to carry out at the end of a hunt just the tank and refilling is great less trash going to a landfill...

But finding something else is not that simple but good luck... I want to try the Big Buddy it has a fan that works of a couple of D Batteries I have heard...

Good Luck,
Newaygo1

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The Buddy Heater has features that makes it okay to use indoors as wellas out. Most heaters don't have this. Being the CO Sensor it has as well as the tip over feature. As for Parts you can get parts for new or old ones they will give you information if you contact them they provide emails with pictures and step by step instructions how to replace any part on them. The only thing that has changed is the regulator they have used 2 different ones and provide a picture to know which one you may need. As for th hiss if you step outside of the blind you will not hear it it is because you are sitting inside and the sound bounces off the walls and seems louder than it really is. Also the deer won't notice it either unless they stick their head inside the blind. As for the heater there is a Big Buddy also it is larger and it requires 2 - 1 lb or a Y adapter to connect to both inputs on this larger heater. They have also come out with a better hose for use with a 20 lb tank the original the oil / rubber cloggs up the regulator on them unless you use a filter which they came out with but they have a different type hose that you can get direct from them though they are out of stock currently but suggest they will have them in soon.

I like the Buddy Heater because I sleep in my box blind over night and like the added safety these have and so far I have had only one issue the regulator because I got the regulator clogged up because of no filter used with the hose. You can find them now and then on sale in different stores like Menards, Lowes and Dunhams if you have any near by.

The safety Feature is key for me... And they are simple to use and with 20 lb tank not extra trash to carry out at the end of a hunt just the tank and refilling is great less trash going to a landfill...

But finding something else is not that simple but good luck... I want to try the Big Buddy it has a fan that works of a couple of D Batteries I have heard...

Good Luck,
Newaygo1
i just refill my little tanks

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Not sure but from what I have heard refilling the 1 lb tanks is not legal due to safety issues but I have heard that many do it... Just again not worth the risk to take a chance...

But again to each their own...

Newaygo1

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Hey guys, another good tip about the Buddy heaters is that when you go to shut them off using a 20 lb. tank with the hose, shut them off by turning the tank valve off instead of the heater valve. This way, all fuel gets burned from the hose, which will keep the regulator clean and will prolong the life of the hose.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would fix the buddy heater, which is pretty cheap to do. then if you want a back up, go with the coleman. i have two of them and they work pretty good. if its really cold or your in a blind with open windows, you pretty much just use it for a hand warmer. i have used them in the ice shanty, but you pretty much have to have it right under you to keep you warm, but it does work. and the gas last alot longer than the buddy heaters. i used my coleman this rifle season and i was able to use it 2 days with out switching tanks. the buddy heaters blow through a tank in 4 hours using the 1 #'ers if that. but they heat my two man shanty well enough that i dont need a coat or gloves even when its colder than hell out side. but i always bring the coleman as back up cuz you never know what might happen.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
I'm pretty sure the buddy heater DOESN'T have a carbon monoxide detector, it does have a low oxygen sensor. You'd be dead from CO poisoning before there wasn't enough oxygen to shut down the heater.

You can refill the one pound tanks, it isn't illegal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine is five years old, beat up, but was working fine. Is it worth fixing?
Not sure what model you've got, but there is a recall out there on them. My big buddy is covered, I already talked to the company and they sent me the shipper, I just need to send it in for a brand new replacement. If you're serial number is covered, don't worry about the ceramic plate, you can have a new one to beat up for free.

http://www.mrheater.com/faq.aspx?id=27

·
Registered
36,302 Posts
If you need parts call the number below; it's cheaper than a heater.

Please call Toll-Free 800-251-0001

www.mrheater.com
Our office hours are 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday.

Please include the model number, date of purchase, and description of problem in all communications.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I'm pretty sure the buddy heater DOESN'T have a carbon monoxide detector, it does have a low oxygen sensor. You'd be dead from CO poisoning before there wasn't enough oxygen to shut down the heater.

You can refill the one pound tanks, it isn't illegal.
Several of the guys at our deer camp that use ventless heaters in their box blinds added CO detectors. ;)

Several others, who have larger box blinds have the nu-way stoves, those thing rock! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't believe there is such a thing as ventless heat. If you burn a petroleum product there is emission of some sort.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really appreciate all the responses. Mine was a little buddy so it was not covered by the recall but I can order the new replacement tile for only 21 dollars. I will fix it for that price.

But in the mean time, I bought a big buddy heater for 99 bucks at northwoods in pinconning. I got it home and hooked it up to my old line with a new filter and a ten lb tank and only one side would lite. It wouldn't go on high. I then put two 1lb tanks in and both sides lit fine. After reading, I got the quick connect hose with regulator, and it works fine. Looks like I'll have heat in my blind for muzzleloading after all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts