Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems my vocation is catching up with me. I am a mechanic on airplanes, for the past 28 years. This summer I've experienced back pain like no other year past. I live in Idaho and enjoy traveling to the western UP every year, to hunt with family. Last year being the exception. Due to the snow and other reasons.

For the previous 16 seasons I enjoyed "still hunting" for whitetail. I dislike that term. Being that I am not still, I am moving, like smoke. I don't live in the UP anymore and the last thing I want to do is look at the same 3 acres for a week. So I've been sneaking around the woods for years. To see as much of the big woods as I can, now that I live in the west. It has been rewarding when I do tag a buck. Nothing worthy of Boone and Crockett. But satisfying to me nonetheless. As I plan to return to the western UP, I find myself having to ask my older, out of shape brother to find me a spot near camp for a blind and bait to hunt. (Irks me)

I used to say that I am looking for a stump to sit on, as I hunt all day. Tis the name Stumphunter.

Any other hunters out there switching from "still hunting" to blind hunting as they age? By the way, I am only 46.

p.s.
I probably will not hunt elk in Idaho next month. Due to back problems. My previous pack outs of elk meat averaged 4 1/2 hours to the 4 four wheeler. Times 2 days.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I hunt blinds just cause I am more succesful. I do enjoy still hunting. Blinds are nice, it gives you some place to go before dark, or if you only have 2-3 hours in the evening to hunt. I like to walk during the day. I had big plans for last year, glad I had blind.

I am looking to build more blinds, to see more areas, and prevent deer from identifying me.

·
Premium Member
10,023 Posts
I hunt the central U P and for the most part I blind hunt. I guess it's more of the convince aspect more than anything. You can stay warm on those nasty days and if you have a good area it can be very productive especially when you re 15 feet in the air. I still like to sneak around but have the other option also. To each his own. Good luck. Love the U P. If only I could get my wife to agree. I'd move in a heartbeat

Reactions: mattawanhunter

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I hit the big five O and still prefer to still hunt with my bow but do spend some time in the air. For whatever reason, still hunting makes my bad back feel much better compared to sitting on a tripod stool or in a tree stand. I take the gun season off but will probably head up to Sagola for a few days of bow before the lead starts to fly.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,388 Posts
I can relate....as I approach the big 6-0 there are back, neck, knee, hip and elbow issues that have to be dealt with some of which are products of hunting activity.

I was on crutches last November but somehow found a way to kill a buck on opening day in that 36"+ big snow dump; Thank God the young bucks in camp were there to drag and hang em.

I actually find that my still hunting has improved because I'm naturally slower now, and the problem I had before was walking too fast. In today's fast paced multitasking world, it's tough to establish that slow-as-molasses rhythm of taking a step or two, then waiting and watching 5 minutes before you move again. Joints ache? Pain shooting down your leg? Problem solved!

Sounds like your back issues are better when you're sitting. Mine are ok as long as I don't sit or stand for too long, so walk a while, sit a while fortunately still works for me.

I always took pride in completing camp and hunting chores with human muscle power versus the aid of machines, but at this stage it seems reasonable to compromise. Come a longs, winches, hoists, block and tackle pulleys are all your friends. Probably will have a four wheeler before too long

Enjoy the the beauty of the UP, your family and friends however you can manage, and Good Luck out there!

·
Banned
444 Posts
Buy some property, and build a blind big enough to stand in. Why people build these ting blinds is beyond me. Add 12", not going to make a difference when building it.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
May be have him put up 2 blinds fairly close but overlooking different territory or one a better am and one better pm and walk back and forth when you get restless. 2 of the best spots in the camp I hunted in were over looked and assumed too close to camp until my FIL moved close to camp and wanted close spots as he got older, we all shot nice bucks out of them, good luck and hope you heal up to hunt the way you love but embrace the change, you may be surprised, I've jumped and spooked alot of deer still hunting!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks All! My best buck is 1/4 mile from Camp, 17 years ago. Maybe this will be a good thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back is feeling better! Not elk hunting in Idaho this year. Which makes me feel bad. But being at Deer Camp with family in the UP makes up for all the negatives regarding this years elk hunt. Whack a big'un fellas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts