Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the bginning of bow season everyone was raving about Blazers and wanting to try them out. I glued some up and although they were good out to 20 yards or so, they didnt group as well as a 4" duravane with a 2 or 3 degree offset. I just tore off the blazers and refletched with duravanes for indoors 5 spot out of my hunting rig. Ive also heard that 3D shooters aren't liking them as well at longer distances. Did anyone else have the same results? Was it just my setup?

Darton Avalanche 74lbs
Gold Tip 75/95 30"
Muzzy 100/3
Drop Zone
Hurricane

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the same experience. Switched a couple arrows and shot at 20 yds. Thought they performed great so I switched half my arrows. When I started my long range practice I was very disappointed. The furher back the more. I switched back to Dura vains before season.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Duravane makes a Predator 2" vane now too . I got some at the ATA show to test out . The performance of the vane will depend on how well a bow is tuned to begin with . It's hard to correct a poor flying arrow with a 2" vane .

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I'm using the miniblazers for all of my target needs. Jeff Hopkins is also using the miniblazers...these are the 1.5" vanes.

I'll be using the miniblazers for Pittsburgh and the 40,50,60 meter shoot that is the 3rd leg of the three star series including Vegas and Louisville.

I used goldtip UL 22 series with the miniblazers when shooting a 3d turkey at 130 yards for novelty purposes at Claude Pollingtons' ranch this past July. Mikieday will vouche for that one...he witnessed it.

Of course that's not me in the picture, but that is the range. You can see the balloon on the Turkey. I shot a softball size group with three arrows and the third arrow actually hit the balloon.

This is an 80 yard group shot with the same arrows in preparation for the bonus elk target on the same 3d range. The miniblazers and regular blazers are a great vane and very accurate and rather fast as they are lighter, and stiffer which prevent them from flopping around creating more drag. They achieve their accuracy by their height, where they are able to contact clean air and stabilize the arrow faster instead of imparting drag to stabilize the arrow. Best fletch I've ever used. They adhere to the shaft easy and don't come off when using 91% alcohol to prep the shaft and using bohning fletch-tite platinum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was shooting out to 60 yards at my house with blazers on my CX Hunter (405grain) arrows and I was nailing it pretty well! I like them a lot! I don't understand why they are not allowed to be used in the Hunter Class at 3d shoots? I mean, I hunt with em!:confused:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Doc,
This is sort of a sidetrack question but obviously your a bad ass shooter, and other than personal preference, why the Onieda vs a "regular" bow. Ive never shot one but everybody I know that does loves them and Ive heard nothing but good things about Claude Pollington.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Hey brian you get your shooter shirt yet? Going to order mine this week w/ Kent Arms all over it!! You gonna get Archery Unlimited on it? going w/ the gold and black scheme.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I still have my Extreme Eagle and I'll never get rid of it (new for 2006). Not to mention I love the comeradarie(sp) with my Oneida Buddies...and I have lots of them. We are considered a cult. We have a big national get together every July that coincides with the Bowhunters Rendevous in Marion and we have a cook/camp out and a nice 3d competition with some novelty shoots.

Claudes a great guy...some would say a stubborn old man...but he'd remind most people of their grandpas. He's got that kind of charm.

Thing is, it is personal prefferance. I like to shoot it, and it's very accurate and easy to shoot, and easy on the body. It's unique. Why am I shooting Mathews now? It's a great opportunity, and if Oneida could match the benefits of Mathews in contigency and royalties then I'd be shooting Oneida for competition. I shoot both brands just as accurately and efficiently. I can't say one is better than another functional wise, but there's more money in Shooting the Mathews. But like I said, I'll still shoot the Oneida. It's just fun to shoot, as are all bows. But there's just a childlike fun that one experiences when shooting an Oneida. To put it simple...it's just 'cool'.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Shoot great for me. Got my first true robinhood on two consecutive arrows at 35yards this year. Blazers are the way for me, untill something better comes along.

J-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts