Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,457 Posts
Doc- Although that is a great combination, there are other glues that work just as well at a percentage of the cost. Another thing you may consider is that it wasn't the glue people were having trouble with but the vane itself. There were multiple batches and colors that just didn't adhere no matter what was used. This was admitted by Bohning after the fact yet some are still out there today in stores that don't sell great volumes. But yes, Platinum is a great glue for sure.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
That sounds like it is a pretty good combo, glad someone found a solution:evil: Blazers are starting to get a bad rap for not adhering, Bohning does admit that there are a batch of vanes that they made that do not adhere, if you send them the lot # on the box and it is one from that batch they will send you another set for free:evil: . At least they stand behind their product.... Wraps are a simple way to get around having to clean the arrow with stinky chemicals etc. A good way for a beginner to make a good looking arrow. I will have to try the platinum without wraps to see if it improves my arrow FOC a little. Thanks:xzicon_sm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tobusyhavinfun said:
That sounds like it is a pretty good combo, glad someone found a solution:evil: Blazers are starting to get a bad rap for not adhering, Bohning does admit that there are a batch of vanes that they made that do not adhere, if you send them the lot # on the box and it is one from that batch they will send you another set for free:evil: . At least they stand behind their product.... Wraps are a simple way to get around having to clean the arrow with stinky chemicals etc. A good way for a beginner to make a good looking arrow. I will have to try the platinum without wraps to see if it improves my arrow FOC a little. Thanks:xzicon_sm
If you're dead set on using wraps, do what I do. I buy the full length wraps and then cut them down to 2.25"...I'm usually able to get three arrows done with one full length wrap. I just don't like the strength of the adhesion of the wraps.

Whipping the shaft down with isopropyl alcohol of hte 91% variety is all that is needed. Most of the time I just use hot water and let airdry. Just don't be stingy with the glue...and after words put a dab on the leading edge of the vain and a dab on the tailing edge of the vane. This prevents anything from breaking that seal.

Then if a vane rips, just take a dull knife to that leading edge and pry up that dab...ones that seal is broken the vane should pull right off.

Yet if you try twisting the vane off your efforts
will be in vane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
Hope this isnt straying here, but any recommendations on a fletching jig that is good for blazers as well as full size vanes... Preferably a multi arrow jig..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for multi jigs I wouldn't really recommend one...jojans for blazers just don't seem to jive the best.

A few Bitzenbergers would be the way to go...right helical jig with a right oriented jig. Adjust the clamp for the best possible shaft to vane contact(does not have to be perfect) and you're set. Plus one single bitz will be paid for at the 24th arrow you fletch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I use the blazers and the platnum glue. I also dip and crest my arrows. On the few arrows I have not crested and chose to fletch I had a very hard time getting good adhesion no matter what I tryed. I eventually threw those out and bought new and have not had any problems. I do use a jo jan, but I admit it isn't easy and I would not recomend it for someone who hasn't fletched a few dozen arrows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
i fletch thousands of arrows.......have had good and bad with platinum....mostly bad....vanes falling off...had great luck with goat tuff, but is very thin and runny, leaves glue on the shaft....AAE fast set gel has worked best for me and my business. have had no problems with the AAE as well as the bohning quik set glue.

so i do not understand your great love with platinum????:eek:ne_eye:
trying to get some for free????:D

later vince
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,246 Posts
maverickbassets said:
I use the blazers and the platnum glue. I also dip and crest my arrows. On the few arrows I have not crested and chose to fletch I had a very hard time getting good adhesion no matter what I tryed. I eventually threw those out and bought new and have not had any problems. I do use a jo jan, but I admit it isn't easy and I would not recomend it for someone who hasn't fletched a few dozen arrows.
good to hear some people still dip & crest,you'll get alot better adhesion when appling vanes to a dipped arrow
it's getting to be a lost art with the advent of stickers,aka wraps
it's unique,anyone can put a sticker on
here's some arrows that were D&C and air brushed,ironically by a person that runs the wrap machine at Bohning,there in Wayne State colors

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,246 Posts
mi3dr said:
so i do not understand your great love with platinum????:eek:ne_eye:
trying to get some for free????:D
the stuff works when done correctly
if you feel the need to use superglue because platinum isn't working for you,your not doing something right and are trying to make up for an incorrect installation.
I think shops use it because it's all about production,not quality,they don't want to take the time to do it correctly or want to make the customer wait.
also you'll also pretty much trash an arrow trying to remove SG that has already cured and use of any abrasives to do it is detrimental to the integrity of the shaft and shouldn't be used.

and FWIW

SUPERGLUE IS CYANOACRYLATE AND NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF BOTTLE IT'S PUT IN IT'S STILL SUPERGLUE, IF ONE FEELS THE NEED TO USE IT GO TO WALMART AND GET IT,YOU CAN GET 10 TIMES THE AMOUNT FOR WHAT YOU'LL PAY FOR ONE BOTTLE OF GOAT TUFF OR FAST FLETCH OR WHATEVER KIND OF BOTTLE THE ARCHERY MANUFACTURES PUT SG IN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
AAE fast set gel is not super glue!! and so far, is the best vane set I've used to date. I have used it on duravanes, blazers, flex fletch. W/ multiple applications. such as aluminum, carbon, wraps and dips. And w/ a bitz. I've never had a vane fall off! Nock on wood...
And another thing!! TAKE A PILL !!!! IT WAS A JOKE!!! BRIAN AND VINCE KNOW EACH OTHER !!! unless you know the circumstances !! makes you look silly in the end!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get all I need for free.;) I mainly put this up to counter the claims that bohning adhesive is poor.

I've also used NPV with good results. I can honestly say I've never used the AAE adhesive though.

I may have to try it with the 2" speed hunters I'm going to play with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I agree with the AAE Fast Set Glue, It is great. I have been using Blazers since they came out with the AAE glue, and have never had an issue with the vanes coming off with or without wraps. I used AAE prior to Blazers also with the same success. I highly recommend it.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top