Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any problems with blazers coming off when shooting?
Are they harder to glue than others?
i had a few fletchings come off on brand new arrows at the livingston shoot last weekend which cost me a lower score for sure. ( yea scott thats my story and im sticking to it :lol:)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I've heard that this was a problem with some of the firsts ones in production. They made the bases flat:dizzy: I've also heard that they have been redesinged a time or two and you can clearly see the bases are curved on the current ones. I've been using them since they became available and I personaly haven't had an issue with any of them.

I'd reccommend using Bohning's Platinum glue and let each fletching dry a little longer...I'll wait 2-3 minutes between each one if I've got the time. Also consider using arrow wraps. They look nice and fletchings stick and hold to them very well.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ive heard of people that constantly have had problems.. Then I have heard of people with few problems like myself..

I purchased a dozen ACCs with Blazers from KC Outdoors 2 years ago.. I think I have had maybe 2 fall off??? And that happened when another shot hit them..

I forget what kind of glue they used though...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had the best luck using acetone to clean my shafts and fletchings and then used bohnigs xt glue. But no matter the glue make sure to clean the above.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
I heard of the potential for problems with the blazers so I've used Quick Spin Speed Hunters (about the same size) because was told they adhere better and outside of burying them in the block or hitting them with an arrow I haven't had any problems!:whistle:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Trust me on this. You'll be told you haven't a clue of what you're doing, that you're using the wrong glue, that you haven't prepped your shafts properly etc etc etc. How do I know? Because I've heard the same thing even though I've never had an issue with any other vane I've fletched over the past 20 years. It got to the point where I gave up on them and chose to stick(pun fully intended) with Duravanes because I could pretty much guarantee that out of a dozen arrows I'd get at least 2-3 fletches that would fall off with the Blazers. Very frustrating. However, it seems lately they have gotten better but I still fletch my arrows with the thought of expecting a fletch to fall off.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I called Bohning last fall when I started having issues even though I did the same thing with 4-5 dozen before...this batch wouldn't hold no matter what I did.

They admitted they had some issues with molds and plastic polymers and sent me 200 in varying colors for the hassle.

None of those fell off:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Most of the glue you buy from the pro shop is super glue. Just in a real big bottle. I find out a long time ago fletching glue doesnt work to good on carbons. Now mine dont come off but Im constanly shoot thru them, or shooting them off. :lol:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
had a problem with some a couple of weeks ago. Lime green on wraps using Bohning quantum XT. Never had a problem before but this set you could just pull em off about 2 days later!!! Other I have done you could not tear off with visegrips! the wrap or the vane would tear.

I have heard that there is occasionally problems with different colors, usually the brighter or flourensnt ones that have adhesion problems.

re-did the arrows with aae platifletch, same glue and no problems, go figure!

J-

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Look at the underside of the vanes. The newer ones have a grove running down the middle of them. They stick much better. I also think the white overall seem to stay on better. I had issues with the darker color vanes so I have switch to all white. After reading some of the issues here maybe I just had a bad batch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Michihunter thanks for the kind remarks on how you fletch your arrows. Spitfire if you don't wan't to use "duravanes" for the next twenty years try the method that I said has worked well for me since "blazer vanes" have come out.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Look at the underside of the vanes. The newer ones have a grove running down the middle of them. They stick much better. I also think the white overall seem to stay on better. I had issues with the darker color vanes so I have switch to all white. After reading some of the issues here maybe I just had a bad batch.
The ones I had a problem with were the "newer" ones with the groove. They were however bought in bulk at a local shop vs in a Bohning packaging. Didnt do anything different this time than other times I fletched them and it was a new bottle of glue.

Oh Well. I personally shoot FOB's now so I dont have to worry about it but felt bad as they were arrows for a buddy.

J-

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx for the replies guys I appreciate it. The blazers I have were white ones with the groove down the middle. Now with closer inspection it looked like there wasnt enough glue on the vanes, mostly on the edges of the vane. Now my question is should it be fully saturated or just the edges?
Also I looked at the duravanes and they seem promising too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I noticed that most of them started coming off either on the front or back edge, then would tear the rest of the way off. Now when I fletch, I use the platinum glue, with a spot of the gel on each end. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never had a problem with blazers or any other vane or feather coming off, i always make sure shafts are cleaned right, and i use gorilla glue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts