Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever seen one?my dad swears he saw two today and one road killed.if its true ill get some pics soon

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Regarding the road kill one.....they are called flies.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
They are called Melanistic Deer. "Melanistic whitetails are very rare, even more rare than piebald or albino deer. You can recognize a melanistic deer because their bodies produce far too much of the pigment known as melanin which makes them much darker than your average whitetail. Of the millions of deer taken each year only a few with melanism have been reported. Most people don't know they exist due to the extreme rarity, making a melonistic buck a true trophy."

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
went to check it out and it was gone within a half hour,someone picked it up,he swears it was black as my lab.i told him it was a goat!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Search the forums there was one killed somewhere last season somewhere in kentucky or something.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Search Under Melanistic Deer,

There have been a few stories as well as pictures about the rarity. Interesting reading, Would be something to actually see one.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
wow that is sweet.... i would have paid that thing no attention either..... i would have said dog or cow depending on where i was... no wonder no one ever saw it he probably made sure to stay in with the cows..... these deer are getting smarter every year i tell ya.... now they can blend in with everything:lol: .... nice post hads....
-Hawk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my brother seen him today,crossed m 53 in romeo in broad daylight,all black,he had about 6 in spikes.

·
Registered
19,129 Posts
plugjerker said:
my brother seen him today,crossed m 53 in romeo in broad daylight,all black,he had about 6 in spikes.
As you know, the Woods-n-Water News is published in Imlay City. If anyone knows about this, they might......give Tom a call. A few years back, there were a few white ones west of Imlay that had escaped from a farm in the Attica area. A black exotic is my guess.

L & O

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seen this deer today. We got about 20ft away from it I have my pictures at cvs right now. It was the coolest ever maybe he will make it around until open day. he is not scared of anything either!! He was in the apple orchard next to my house we got a call to come and check it out. It was a real thing I couldn't believe my eyes. I have the movie camera ready.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My family farms near M-53 in Romeo and that damn deer has been just killing our soybeans. You are right, he is not scared of anything. My father-in-law walked darn near right up to him before he decided to run off. Very neat looking deer!

·
Registered
462 Posts
That would make sense, that deer was really tame.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I heard he was shot this week,it was not a whitetail but an exotic that got loose.
Do you know where he was shot and by who? My brother-in-law was contacted by the DNR and they would like the head to do some studies. The deer was belived to have some disease.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've got a pic of a woman and a black buck but don't know how to post it. I could email it to someone.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I've seen a few pics of them. Seems I've heard of them being taken in texad and kentucky. If I recall I saw a picture last year with an older woman who harvested one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts