Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s everyone doing for black trumpets lately? Like most other mushrooms, it seems it’s been a weird year for them. Lansing area and SE, trumpets were essentially non-existent for me. In NE LP, where I found a couple good spots last year, it was way worse this year, for me. Although I haven’t been up in almost two weeks, so I suppose it could’ve improved, but I think they’ve had several frosts so idk. I finally took a trip out to the west side of the LP last weekend and had a great time scouting out new ground with another member here (hope she chimes in!). Seems to be much more productive out that way. Oaks, pines, and beech. Open flat hilltops seemed best. I’m thinking of making another run but idk if they’ll keep coming. What’s everyone else’s experience been? Good luck to everyone who’s still at it until the better end!

I’ve been mostly using Instagram to track my mushroom finds this year. Here’s my haul from the weekend!
⚫ ⚫

https://www.instagram.com/p/B39wzCYAc7l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I found some in late August and early September in West Branch and in SE LP. Later in September I found dried up ones in SE LP. Nothing since.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Found a dozen or so 2 days ago on state land in Kalkaska county. Found 3 that were old and left in the woods. 6 looked like that may have been young ones based on size.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heard they’re still going in west MI. Wasn’t able to go this weekend unfortunately. Eyeing a return still! Good luck all

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to be better about getting on here next year! Did make one more trip out west and it was good but not as good. Then Halloween came and apparently that was the first day of winter. I miss shroomin!

·
Registered
436 Posts
We sure had a good but short run on the black trumpets. Oh how I long for those fall days again. This weather sucks. Not like I can do much for a few months anyways.

I think I'm going to start hunting for Exidia. Flams too... I'm so bored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts