Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to share materials and techniques for tying these patterns. I have justed started tying and I began tying egg patterns. I would like to try these patterns If someone can get me started in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
If you fill out your profile I am sure someone will steer you right.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Another place to check is on Youtube
There are alot of videos of how to tie different fly patterns on there

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know l am new here and not to here to change the world but l do not like the Black Stone fly. l think l have had better outings with the Stone Prince and the Purple Lightning Stone. The bodies are lighter in color. l am also going to try using Golden Pheasant tail and wrap some ice dub in as a spin them for the body's of the next batch of stone fly's l make.

Ken

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have looked at the fly library and You tube and can not find a stone prince, or a purple lighting stone. Can you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry no pic's no camera so l will be descriptive as possible.

Stone Prince

Hook: #4-10 Diiachi 1270 other stimulator hook
Weight: .025 lead covering about half the hook (from Bead down)
Thread: Tan uni 8/0
head: Gold or copper head
Thorax: Bronze peacock dubbing or Seal dubbing (l used Antron loosely)
Body: golden peacock dubbing (l used Antron Tight carrot shape)
Tail: Brown goose biots
Legs: brown flexifloss or superfloss at the head
Antennae: White goose biots
Rib: Gold or copper fine wire (about 7 wraps on a #10 hook)
Shellback/Wingcase: Uni-Mylar pearl for body - pliable prisatic sheet for wing case (comes down 1/3 of the fly body)

Purple Lightning Stone

Hook: #4-10 bent shank hook
Thread: Black uni thread 8/0
Weight: lead wrapper over half of the hook shank ( bead down l used wire sinks faster)
Head: Black bead
Body: Ice dub tan uni Mylar pearl pulled over top ( the mylar wraps around the hole body over top of the ice dub carrot shaped)
Thorax: Ice dub brown
Wingcase: Pliable prismatic sheet back
Tail: brown goose biots (no antennae)
Rib: Copper wire (about 7 wraps on a #10 Hook)
Legs: Female ringneck pheasant fibers

l know that this will not be easy to reproduce With out the pic but just keep in mind its a stone fly... l got these flys from FLYFUSION Mag. www.flyfusionmag.com

Ken

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is definitely a site to book mark. l will be trying the soft hackle stones this winter for sure. Thanks for posting.

Ken

·
Registered
149 Posts
Try www.theanglersnet.com They have fly tying and fishing videos. The site is mostly spey oriented but, they have alot of fly fishing material. Spey fishing is two handed fly fishing, so they share many of the same flies wt depending. You don't see it much though. The fishing videos are mostly guys swinging one handers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts