Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to the black powder arena, and currently sighting in a TC Omega at 100yds, 250gr bullet w/ 100gr of pyrodex.

I'd like to know what bullet/sabot combinations have worked well for anyone else who has this gun. I know that each gun will have its own personality, so to speak... but given TC's consistency in manufacturing, I figure there's bound to be some similiar and effective combinations from gun-to-gun.

Thanks for your input.

-JT

· Registered
2,908 Posts
WelCome aboard. This section is for introductions, but I'll help out. For me I tried a couple difffernt loose powders like 777 and some other stuff. none of them gave me the consistency i was after. Its been so long I don't remember all that I tried, but it was 3 or 4 types.. The best setup that worked for me 2. 777 pellets and a 250 gr shockwave. Im shooting the TC 50 cal Omega

· Registered
1,878 Posts
My Omega likes the 250 gr XTP with any where from 120-140 gr of Pyrodex. I'm currently shooting a Precision Rifle 275 gr bullet with 110 gr of Pyrodex. It loads slightly easier and has a little better groups out to almost 200 yards. I keep my shots under 150 yards with very good results. The XTP was a good starting point and was consistent with a lot of different loads. I started with 90 gr of powder and went up 10 gr until I found one I liked. Have patience with your Omega and you will find the sweet spot.

Tim

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. Have you tested your groupings with the magnum loads? I don't intend on shooting far enough to need 150gr, but sometime you might need to reach out and touch some cervidae. I will try your methos of upping th laod 10grs, and see where I group. Thanks again.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
I did try the 150 gr loads but didn't like the groups or the kick. The groups got better as I dropped the load. I also tried different wt bullets up to 300 gr but liked the 250-275 gr bullets and lower powder charges. You can also play with sabots to find the right fit. I have used both 777 and pyrodex pellets but have gone back to loose powder because it was cheaper and more flexible.

Tim

· Registered
6,588 Posts
Thanks for your input. Have you tested your groupings with the magnum loads? I don't intend on shooting far enough to need 150gr, but sometime you might need to reach out and touch some cervidae. I will try your methos of upping th laod 10grs, and see where I group. Thanks again.
My buddys Encore and my Knight Disk both shoot equally well with 150 grains of American Pioneer. Be prepared to get kicked by a mule though! Both guns get under a 2" group consistantly off a bench.

· Registered
4,294 Posts
Can't hit the broad side of a barn with my Omega so I bought a TC Black Diamond. I'm heading out in the next two weeks to sight it in.

My hunting buddy's Black Diamond uses 250gr Shockwaves with 90gr of 777 powder and a musket cap. I'm using the same load with mine.

· Registered
4,294 Posts
What was wrong with the Omega? It's a good gun.
My personal take- those stupid 209 primers. I tried pellets and loose powder in mine and still couldn't get any accuracy out of it. I've tried various powder and bullet combos too. Still got the same results.
So I bought a .25acp conversion breech plug for it. If that doesn't do the job, then I'm dumping the Omega.

· Registered
6,588 Posts
My personal take- those stupid 209 primers. I tried pellets and loose powder in mine and still couldn't get any accuracy out of it. I've tried various powder and bullet combos too. Still got the same results.
So I bought a .25acp conversion breech plug for it. If that doesn't do the job, then I'm dumping the Omega.
Try the Remington Kleen-Bore primers. I think even Wallyworld carries them. They're not nearly as powerful and corrosive as 209's. I think most primer manufacturers are making them now specifically for muzzleloaders. Ilke them. Between the Kleen Bores and the American Pioneer powder, I don't even clean my gun till after ML seasons all over, regardless how many times I shoot.

· Registered
4,294 Posts
Tried them too.
They would ignite the first pellet (or last..the one closest to the sabot) outside of the barrel....so I tried loose powder and dumped the pellets. I still couldn't get any accuracy with loose powder.

No biggie really, I bought a Black Diamond after the season. :evilsmile

· Registered
192 Posts
I've been using the T/C Triumph and am using the Blackhorn 209 powder. Loose powder made the biggedt difference in my accuracy. If you use a powder that is "water soluble" for easy cleanup, it can also absorb water easily, and the pellets are inconcistent.

I am now shooting a 300 gr. .452 Hornady XTP with MMP 12 sleeves. I can shoot a 2 in. group at 100 yards. and maybe 5 inches out to 200. If I had a Led Slead I'm sure it would be more accurate, even out to 250.

I'm next trying the Barnes 460 S&W .452 275 grain with 110 or 120 of powder. That Blackhorn 209 burns pretty hot and explosive, so I just use what is recommended on the can. It still drops less at 100 grains with a 300 grain bullet than my Nikon BDC scope I just bought is calibrated for.

You just have to try different loads, but it can be a lot cheaper to start experimenting with handgun relaods and sleeves from MMP, than it is to buy the packeged powerbelts, or hornady SST's, or shockwave's. For the Omega you want .451 or .452 bullets.

· Registered
192 Posts
Oh, use regular Winchester 209 shotshell primers amd get the Blackhorn 209 loose and do what it says on the back. You won't go back to the pellets again.... http://www.chuckhawks.com/working-up_loads_50muzzleloaders.htm. Try using a lead sled and some sandbags and you'll see that that gun is extremely accurate.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
wife has an omega .it would not shoot 150 grains of tripple F powder it also didn't pattern well with 250 grain sabots
we kept trying different loads and settled on
2 pellots of tripple F and a 200 grain shock wave sabot.it is a tack shooter now:) she shot a buck with it last dec. in the neck at 80 yards an dropped him like a rock..she uses the nikon BDC 3x9x40
i just bought the encore pro hunter an i'm trying the same load Monday ,will post results.i put the leupold ultimate slam M/L scope on mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.