Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Black Powder 45 cal rifle for hunting White Tail.

My question is, how does the 45 cal do the job? I've not seen much data on the 45 cal.
I have used 50 cal for years and they are great.

If you have experience with the 45 cal for hunting white tail, please let us know.

Loading recipes would be nice also. Thanks.

Bob_____

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
BaitRunner,You have found a friend using a 45 cal muzzleloader. I bought a 45 cal. Thompson Center Encore 2 years ago against the opinions of many,and have not been one bit sorry. At first the accessories were hard to find but now most of the dealers have opened their eyes to the fact that there are some 45 cal. shooters out there. I have found in my gun that 100 grains of Triple Seven Powder along with 275 grain Powerbelt bullets will give me a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards with a Leupold scope. Let me assure you that the deer I have used this on were as dead as any I have taken with my 30-06.:) :)

G

·
I did shot a .45 until I recently switching to a Encore .50. I never killed a deer with a .45 but I never shot at one either.

However, my brother has I believe 4 of them. He likes the .45 over the .50 and has killed numerous deer with them. Like the previous said, they end up just as dead. Or something like that.

If all you plan on hunting for is deer, then the .45 is enough. I choose the .50 because I bear hunt and, on occasions, go out west for elk. I also think you get a better shot at distances longer than 100 yards.

Now, I'm no smoke pole expert (no even close); however, I love my Encore .50. It shoots great, loads and clean easy, and handle the weather excellent.

Todays new muzzle loaders are all pretty darn good. You want go wrong either way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input and recommendations guys. I bought a CVC Thunderbolt 45 Cal at a graet price and can't wait to shoot her.
Thanks again.

Bob

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
BaitRunner,

In 2003 I killed a 7pt buck at 35 yards with a .45 cal 195gr sabot, on top of 100gr of pyrodex pellets. The rifle is an MDM inline.

I like the rifle a lot, I shoot 2" groups at 100yds at the range, but could do better with more practice. No complaints about the weapon, I think it is well suited for Michigan whitetail hunting.

For 2004 I am going to experiment with a heavier projectile, and maybe a bit more powder.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
i purchased the x150 45cal by Winchester last year...I sold my 50cal Knight...what i found out in my search was using a sabot in the knight and using a pwrbelt bullet in the x150, the bullet size was almost the same...now i have better performance-a nicer gun and if i kill as many elk and deer with the new gun as i did with my knight life will be good...lol

mikie :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts