Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted black morels in the far north of the LP for quite a few years. We seem to find the most around Black Ash trees. I have been wanting to expand my season and hunt further South in the State. Can anyone tell me what kind of trees you look for further South to find find black morels. Looking forward to hunting them.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Fallen Elms, and if you can find them, old apple orchards. My sister is an absolute morel freak and can't shut up about them every Spring. She has a couple spots (that I can't talk about for fear of being killed) in the northern LP, but last season she cleaned up in the SW part of the state.

I asked her if she changes tactics for the lower LP and the answer was no.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
See, this is why I don't read message boards anymore. I read a post on morels in January and I'm already daydreaming.

·
Registered
14,378 Posts
I used to own a lawn service, and one year I had the fortune to finds absolutely TONS of white morels in the Detroit area. They seemed to mostly be under White Pine trees, and I found some patches that yielded over 100 large shrooms each. The only problem I had was it was too many - I literally had 20+ pounds of mushrooms in a week period.
I also had a client who owned a filed that had a lot of Giant Puffball mushrooms in July. I got about 20 pounds of those in a 2 week period, and feasted. I no longer have the lawn service, and feel it would be rude to ask my old clients if I could come pick their mushrooms anymore. I may re-think that this year.

I do tap one of my former client's sugar maples for sap to make syrup. About a month before I start that up, I am guessing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Northern and Central Indiana morels, especially white and yellow ones will bring up to $30/pound. If you have extras it might be a way to supplement your income!
A number of years ago several of us sold 156 pounds for $12/pound.:)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Under blue spruces in Monroe county.
I just found a deserted orchard last week on a job site....I cant wait... its killing me.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Morels in January.....I'm really glad I stocked up on blacks last spring.I still have a few bags of dried Morels in the cubboard just waiting to go with a fresh catch of gill fillets.
I'm already counting the weeks till Morels season (13-16 weeks)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts