Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't see too much talk about it. Where can I get a spear in Michigan and thoughts of a new guy going up and winging it. I see it's a 10000+ acre lake. Obviously study the lake etc. and probably need a quad. Any other random thoughts. I really wanted to make it to Backstabbers this weekend but just can't swing it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
38,000 Posts
Call Parrott’s Outpost in Onaway. If he doesn’t have one in stock he can get one for you prior to the season.

·
Registered
38,000 Posts
Parrotts is under new management. I’m not sure the new owners have the same connections. I’ll swing by there at lunch and see.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Parrotts is now Onaway Outfitters. I am not sure either if they have Sturgeon spears there any more. The person who was making them was calling it quits, but has said that for the last 5 years. This year it may be true because of his health issues.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't see too much talk about it. Where can I get a spear in Michigan and thoughts of a new guy going up and winging it. I see it's a 10000+ acre lake. Obviously study the lake etc. and probably need a quad. Any other random thoughts. I really wanted to make it to Backstabbers this weekend but just can't swing it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I’m pretty sure they cancelled it this year due to Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
The Shiveree was canceled last time I looked but I don't know if the DNR canceled the season too or not. I'm not sure of they are one and the same.

·
Registered
38,000 Posts
The Shivaree was cancelled again but not the spearing season. Brenda and Gil went to Florida, if it wasn’t for those two volunteers the Shivaree would have gone away long before anybody had heard of covid.

There is a thread on the Black Lake Sturgeon Season.

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,755 Posts
The season is independent of the beer tent

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get ahold of Doug mader 920-205-0237 he’s out of Appleton Wisconsin you can get 5 or 6 tine and a inverted 5 tine with either wood or aluminum handles View attachment 810861

Yes, that is the guy. High quality spears! they throw very accurate & fast. Fish do not get off. I have 2 of these spears, love them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts