Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The extended forecast weather is finally starting to look a little more promising. I'm planning to try my hand at it for the first time and bring my 4yo along with me. I've been reading through a lot of the threads to answer most of my questions but still have a few.

Sounds like the best bet is to get there on Friday to register and do some scouting / hole cutting. Leave the hub shanty marked overnight so it's ready for the 8am start. I have a 1 person quad that I plan to bring but I'm trying to figure what the rules are with that. Looks like I'll need an ORV sticker for it and a helmet? I've also got to find a helmet for my daughter. Will the DNR care if the 2 of us are on the same 1-person quad so long as we aren't ripping it up on the lake? Is the only access point on the south end of the lake by the state park or can you also get in from the state forest campground launch?

Last thing to sort out is the spear. Trying to locate one for the trip figuring my best bet is to call some of the tackle shops up there ahead of time to see if they'll set one aside. I don't imagine anyone on here has an extra or one they'd be willing to lend/rent out?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
South end, your best bet is the state park.
North end zolner road where the shivaree is.
The ramp on the south end can be iffy with deep snow etc.. if you’re quad is 2x4, could be tough. Guys were walking last year after giving up trying to make it with a quad or burying their trucks to the frame.
The ramp at zolner will be plowed because of the shivaree.
Call Onaway outfitters for a spear.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I will be up as long as I don't have to go to a funeral!!! Look for a silver Polaris 2 up traveling with a camo Polaris one man and say hello. The one man will have a plow on it. The report I got the other day was 8" of good ice. After the Shiv I plan on going to try my hand on some pike. Heading to the same waters the bonanza was on. I regret not making it up for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts