Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know anything about little black lake in muskegon county? never heard anything about it. wondering if any one has ever fished it, any bass, gills or pike? looks somewhat shallow and weedy and has black creek running to it seems like it could be decent for pike. i have a buddy looking at a piece of property with frontage on it and we were curious. any info at all is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I used to fish it in the 80's.

It's shallow & weedy, there used to be a spot that we could walk across the lake, this was before the waterpark.

We caught a lot of nice gills & bass, there were some really nice pike in there also.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I used to live right by it, and fished it from a canoe in the summer and through the ice. Usually accessed it in different spots for both. It is very weedy/shallow, but is capable of producing some nice gills if you find them. I caught a lot of pike out of it as well, though they usually ran small... I've heard there's bigger pike in there, just never seemed to find them. It is fished very little in the summer due to limited easy access and the fact that engine's aren't permitted. In the winter, the NE corner get's pressured a little, but it seems like it only lasts for a while when ice is hard to find elsewhere, then it seems to taper off.

PM me if you'd like more specific info.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I used to live right by it, and fished it from a canoe in the summer and through the ice. Usually accessed it in different spots for both. It is very weedy/shallow, but is capable of producing some nice gills if you find them. I caught a lot of pike out of it as well, though they usually ran small... I've heard there's bigger pike in there, just never seemed to find them. It is fished very little in the summer due to limited easy access and the fact that engine's aren't permitted. In the winter, the NE corner get's pressured a little, but it seems like it only lasts for a while when ice is hard to find elsewhere, then it seems to taper off.

PM me if you'd like more specific info.
NE corner gets pressured a little!?!?!? Now THATS funny. 15 years ago it used to be a totally different lake quality and quantity wise, heck even 10 years ago for that matter.

It used to be a good Gill/spec lake before everyone and their brother hit it first ice and kept 5” fish. There’s not many spots that hold fish, mainly in the winter because it’s so shallow so the ne corner gets hammered hard (deepest part) Not going to say there’s no fish but it’s NOWHERE what it used to be.....

·
Registered
981 Posts
Been a long time since I was there, so kind of surprised the easy walk area on the NE gets hammered that hard. It did get the early ice attention, no doubt, even when I was there, but it was a limited timespan, and was about the worst area I found to fish on that lake, so not surprised results dont meet expectations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts