Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Hey, my brother got a black coyote in a snare last week. It is the coolest looking coyote I've ever seen. Really dark, almost black, with a white stripe in the middle of his chest. His tail is all black too. His belly is almost a chocolate color. Anyone seen one like this before?

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
No, I've never heard of a black coyote...and down there in southeastern MI, I would have to wonder if it's a coydog...did anyone take pics or weigh it? Or even take it to the DNR-they could confirm it by DNA.

In any event, good riddance...and congrats for doing your part to help manage what is a growing problem in southeastern MI!

:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Coyotes come in some neat colors. Once in a while I'll get into some real red/cinnamon colored too.
The black coyotes are more rare to come across, and seem more willing to test the dogs usually. The also have cool looking gold/yellow eyes.
I know a few guys that manage to get one just about every winter in south central MI, (merril, ithaca general area)

I believe down in some southern states like in Ga the black color is much more common, but I want to say I heard figures like 1 in 500 is black.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good reply Kevin. My brother heard like 1 in 2000 are black. Who knows?! You just don't see too many of that color. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. It truley is a cool looking coyote.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yes Kevin you are on track. Some just need to get out of a box. I would love a black coyote. I have snared a coyotes and trapped a coyotes. But I have yet to get a black one.

A trapper near me seen a full black fox just before season. But I don't trap near him so no luck there either.

Check a book out and see all the color phase of a coyote and fox. You just need the genes.

Dave Lyons

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
gee, thanks for the crack, Dave...I didn't say I didn't BELIEVE THERE MIGHT BE A FEW BLACK COYOTES, but that I'd never heard of one...and I'm about as "far out of the box" for a female outdoor writer as you can get-I hunt every winter with two or three different groups of hard-core coyote hunters who pursue the dogs with the best hounds in the state, you've probably heard of all of them, run a trapline myself and talk to dozens of different trappers all over the state every year, have been running a variety of outdoor message boards for roughly 6 years, been a participant on boards for more than 10 years, and written dozens of articles about coyotes over the years, all taken from interviews with the best coyote hunters in the state.

No one has ever mentioned a black coyote before, silver, yes, red/cinnamon or light brown , yes, but not black.

While interviewing a pretty well-known DNR wildlife biologist in southeast MI today, I mentioned this post, and he agreed that, because of the location, it most likely WAS a coy/dog, where interbreeding with stray dogs is probably common, that he had never seen a black coyote personally in any of the areas he's covered over the years as a wildlife biologist, and that he thought they were extremely rare.

If there are any photos, and it does appear to be all coyote, I would really be interested in doing a story on this, because it is, according to a lot of people, apparently a very rare phenomenon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would enjoy pics very much - please post when you get them!

Dave, I saw a black fox a few years ago near Mayville. Very cool, that would be a neat catch.

Coopersville - know a guy goes by "Zeke" down there? Has a couple bear dogs. I'll pm ya his real name if that would make more sense lol

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Linda,

No attack on you but if you know anything about how a coyote breeds and how a dog breeds and when this takes place you would now that it is almost near impossible to happen.

Notice this is the breeding season for the Coyote. Dogs breeding season isn't till spring and fall. This is the only time of the year a coyote does breed. And a male Coyote is Sterile outside of the breeding season. So this cross-breeding isn't as common as some think.

The coyote is a very interesting animal. Most dogs unless breed to run coyotes. Will not even get close to a female coyote. I have noticed this running a trapline with my dog. There must be this dominance thing between the coyote and dog. And on a few farms the farmer has a male dog. And I have noticed that when I have a female coyote in the truck he will not come by the truck. Now when I have a Male coyote in the back he barks and barks at my truck. Same thing with my dog she barks at it also but it is a different bark. My dog has more of a dominance bark and the Male dog will have more of an Attack bark.

And with that said. It would be hard pressed to see a DOG mate with a female Coyote. The Female Coyote is very defenceive during this time.

And when a female DOG comes into heat. MOST male coyote will be sterile at that time. Now I am not saying this can't happen. But it is very rare, and I mean very rare.

A very good book to read on coyotes is:

Life of Coyotes & its survival in the wild by Larry ( Slim) Pedersen.

Now it doesn't explain what I just wrote. But what I did right comes from a very well know DVM. So yes I learned this also. So I wasn't attacking anybody, but I make it a point that I learn EVERYTHING about the ever elusive coyote.

Coyotes are my main presuit in trapping. The problem is I have few coyotes on my trapline this year. I only have 20 coyotes hanging. And last year I caught 14 in 4 days with half the land.

So yes trapping does help all wildlife.

Dave Lyons

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Dave Lyons I am not sure

The coyote is a very interesting animal. Most dogs unless breed to run coyotes. Will not even get close to a female coyote.
I live in branch county ,and the last few years a real big problem has been dogs running with yotes. Just last year on my uncles farm there was a pack of 4 coyotes with 4 other house dogs they ran together , fed and hunted together, a german sheperd, 2 mix pups of some sort and a beagle. Them dogs was just as mean and wild as the coyotes The guy across the road from my uncle shot the sheperd and his collar had grown in to his skin to the point you could not even tell it was there. He called the name on it and the lady said "the dog been missing for 1year and was a pup when it left"... these dogs are taking coyotes right up on to porchs and in to the McDonalds parking lot in Quincy there has been 3 packs like this that I have heard of but only 1, I have seen with my own eyes over and over.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
timbergsp,

I will repect that story. But the breeding part to produce coydogs is very rare because of what I have stated.

But if any of you catch a female coyote just watch how your dog reacts to it.

Linda,

OOO where did you go on this topic?

The thing of it is I can tell on here who has and who hasn't caught many coyotes or shot any.

I can repect a few people on here but a few probaly haven't seen many dead coyotes. The biggest problem is most go by hear-say and have never done it before ( that is kill a coyote).

I really like Bob Robert comments about just go coyote hunting and learn the hard way. I had to and it sure seems like Bob has also. I still have a long way to go on know the elusive coyote but I know how and why try do a lot of things. Because I have done the research. Just ask my wife she has spent many night out just listening to coyotes with me when the movies is where she wanted to go. Just stop learn to read the sign given to you. And follow it. To kill a coyote isn't as hard and to learn the coyotes ways isn't hard or to know a coyote comes in many different phases as does the fox isn't hard to learn and to learn the coyotes reaction to different things isn't hard to do either. The problem is PEOPLE they complicate it, the animal will teach you if you can be taught.

Dave

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
ok dave i can say i didnt think it was possible at all for them to breed i guess i read wrong I have killed a few yotes my self but not many sure would like to get in to it. what do you recomend for a call E- box or mouth

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
I have the hide off a confirmed Coy/dog hanging with the bundle of tanned furs that I use for trapping displays.

This coy dog was confirmed by Fred Ignatoski the biolgist for the DNR out of Baldwin at the time I trapped it. It had the pads and the bristly hair between its shoulders like a coyote. It looks like it may have been crosses with a husky due to the color and silky hair texture. It did not have the normal round bush tail of a coyote but a tail with drooping hair like a dog.

From the picture of the black coyote it has the form of a coyote. I have two questions tho. #1 does it have the bristly hair inbetween it shoulders blades #2 Did anyone check the pads on the feet to see whether they were dog like or coyote like.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We took this coyote to a know coyote hunter in the area. He looked at it and said without a doubt it is a coyote. It has the guard hair between the shoulders, and the pads are all coyote.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
If by chance a breeding of a coydog took place, then wouldn't that produce more for generations? Sure, it wouldn't be 50/50, but still a coydog.

I don't hunt coyotes, but this is only logical.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
but haven't wanted to contribute further only to be further ridiculed...if you want to believe that's a purebred coyote, fine. Doesn't matter, one way or the other, it's a varmint that we're all well rid of.

I won't attempt to argue further with you about a certain female dog I have here (a purebred English Setter) that has come into heat every year in February for the past four years-she won't this year, because she was spayed three weeks ago.

But I've been getting some interesting comments on that photo...and I'll be talking tonight to friends that I occasionally hunt with who have been hunting coyotes all over the state for more than 30 years.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
omega58,

Very good question. Now the DVM I know says if this did happen and two coydog breed. Then in about 2 generation it couldn't be considered a coy at all. What you are talking about is how we have so many different dog breeds as it is. It would be like you breeding a lab with a German Shepard. Once you where to breed two dogs that both came from a Lab Shepard mix. In two generation of three you would have a new dog breed. This was explained to me a while ago so the only thing that could be off tis generation time.

Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts