Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Getting ready to work up a load for my new Savage 10ML and I picked up some BK209 to try. Can anyone give me a range of where to start as far as the powder load? I’ll be working 240 gr and 300 gr Dead Centers to start but am open to trying any combo that works in your Savage. Thanks for the help. I sure wish Michigan would let us use the smokeless soon. But I don’t realy want to start a debate here, just need to get some insight

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Getting ready to work up a load for my new Savage 10ML and I picked up some BK209 to try. Can anyone give me a range of where to start as far as the powder load? I’ll be working 240 gr and 300 gr Dead Centers to start but am open to trying any combo that works in your Savage. Thanks for the help. I sure wish Michigan would let us use the smokeless soon. But I don’t realy want to start a debate here, just need to get some insight
for me i use 100 grs, some shoot 85 grs and up too 150 grs.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Be sure to use a full strength primer, not a reduced flash M-L primer. CCIM is good, if you can find them. I'd look to the 100-120grn max charge. I don't recall seeing any company listed charges above 120 grns by volume. I kinda like the 250 grn Hornady SST(T/C shockwave) but many bullets will work. What shoots best in your gun is the key. Many of the 'bullet failure' stories are nothing more than poor shot placement results.

My count is at 10 deer between last Nov & this Fall, all one shot kills with the 250 grn SST. All deer expired within easy sight. My partner added another 4 one-shot kills. I have also used bullets as simple as a home cast lead pistol bullet in the M-L. As with many things, YMMV.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
I most hardily agree, you got to work up aload for your gun, what shoots in my Savage will not nessasarily work in yours, and that goes for all guns, not just Savage's. but that gives me a good plase to start. I really hope my gun will shoot this combo of BH209 and Dead Centers. I know the DC's will flat out perform on game, been shoting them in my other gun for 5 yrs now and they are accurate and really wack-m. Check out there web sight prbullet.com

·
Registered
101 Posts
Be sure to use a full strength primer, not a reduced flash M-L primer. CCIM is good, if you can find them. I'd look to the 100-120grn max charge. I don't recall seeing any company listed charges above 120 grns by volume. I kinda like the 250 grn Hornady SST(T/C shockwave) but many bullets will work. What shoots best in your gun is the key. Many of the 'bullet failure' stories are nothing more than poor shot placement results.
I beg to differ on your poor placement theory I've shot and killed 4 deer with shockwaves and they simply dont retain there weight, no pass through, find a empty copper casing in the body cavity's usually, no blood trails if I didnt get good shots on them I damn sure never would of found them it was usually just by following the direction I watched them run. My wife shot a buck at 15 yards (I was in the shack with her and watched him donkey kick) with a 250 grain in the snow and not a drop of blood for over 60 yards and it was shot right behind the front shoulder!!

Granted I wished these bullets performed better on deer cause they do group great on the range, but personally I would not recommend anyone hunt with these out of a muzzle loader been telling guys this for awhile now, I quit using them 2 years ago for hunting... some guys keep using them but I see more and more people switching. Guess they had to find out for themselves.

·
Registered
237 Posts
for me i use 100 grs, some shoot 85 grs and up too 150 grs.

Be sure to check the label on the can, I think they only recommend shooting up to 120 grains, no more. But I may be wrong

I use 100 grains with the Barnes spitfire 290gr. This seems to be an excellent comb for me. 2" groups at 100 yards and 3.5" at 150 yards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts