Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Youngest went to work this morning and the oldest came out to help on decking the casting/carp shooting deck. Did I ever mention how lucky I am to have these two involved in the outdoors with me? We ended up removing the 3/4” wood backing and replaced it. Wonder how many bases have been mounted to this over the years. Too many holes for my liking. Haven’t decided if I want free standing seats or bases mounted to the floor. That decision will come in time.

Tradesman Glove Safety glove Workwear Wood

For all the butt joints, I ran a bead of Sika construction sealant down the edge and then set in place, forced together, fastened then excess somewhat smoothed out. Final result is edge grain of plywood is sealed and watertight.

Wood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk

Brown Rectangle Wood Beige Tints and shades

Wood Asphalt Rectangle Road surface Beige

Vacuumed up before caulking the entire perimeter and screw heads. Then caulked and smoothed out.

Flooring Floor Urban design Asphalt Wall

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tire Naval architecture

Now to wait another week before paint prep can begin. Actually might be longer than a week. The boys asked if they could paint it together when the oldest comes home for Christmas break. Might just be the perfect project for them to do themselves.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That Rig is going to be nicer than when it was new! That’s what you call a total restoration!! It’s A Family Affair for sure(y)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Asked the youngest to please clean the entire inside of the boat in preparation of paint. Supposed to be upper 40’s tomorrow and if so, we’ll be putting a coat on the interior when I get home from work. He actually is doing better than I anticipated, he even washed the insides walls with hot water. Now to see if he can do his room 1/2 as good. It is nice knowing his priorities are right where most guys’ are. HA!!

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was worried didn’t know what happened for awhile no update on Fowl Attitude!! And What The Heck Mike your garage is more organized than my house!!! While my son and I were deer hunting my girlfriend stayed at the house to watch the dogs. And she called and said I put all the bullets in a shoe box !! Why were they all over the kitchen counter?? Those were not bullets there shells and I had them set by shot size for geese and divers!! Please stop :oops:. Glad to see you and the boys are back at it!!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I was worried didn’t know what happened for awhile no update on Fowl Attitude!! And What The Heck Mike your garage is more organized than my house!!! While my son and I were deer hunting my girlfriend stayed at the house to watch the dogs. And she called and said I put all the bullets in a shoe box !! Why were they all over the kitchen counter?? Those were not bullets there shells and I had them set by shot size for geese and divers!! Please stop :oops:. Glad to see you and the boys are back at it!!!!
I got back to work and had a lot to make up so boat got sidelined. The oldest is home for Thanksgiving and as long as he can get away from the girlfriend, we should get a good head start on a 1st coat of paint.

We too have different shells on the counters and dining table. It’s the norm during hunting season here. The oldest brought home his case of different shot shells to put back in the shelf and get the 3.5” coyote shells along with the .22 mag to take back up with him.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The boys are killing it. I’m really glad we went with this color. The second coat on the floor will have silica sand mixed in for traction. I’ll be touching up the console when everything is dry and I have time to tinker around.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior Desk

Naval architecture Wood Vehicle Composite material Automotive design

Building Wood Flooring Floor Automotive design

If the weather holds out tomorrow, just might be able to have the first coat on the exterior completed too.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I really like the color too! Doing a fabulous job!! You make a heck of a Supervisor :ROFLMAO:
Thank you, I’m digging the color too. I’m thinking of surplus military netting instead of a camo paint job. This way it’s easily removable and the base color acts as a great “base”.

I actually said to him a couple times that it feels weird watching him work, but I want both boys to have pride and ownership in this project, so when it comes to doing stupid 💩 maybe they will think twice about it.

With these low temps, it is going to take a while to actually dry/cure. Looking forward to the next 50° day to hopefully get the 2nd coat on. Also, my wife is looking forward to getting her indoor parking spot back for the winter, that’s the least of my worries right now. HA!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Great Idea especially if you want to take mama on a boat ride! I will look I had a military net from Knudsons brand new in the package it came with a boat I flipped and I kept it. If I can find it u can have it. I live downriver. I am sure I can find it once I start moving boats around! Getting a little grief now about two boats and a pop up in the garage!!
I don’t see anything wrong with that:unsure:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
My son had today off of school due to the tragedy in the next town over, so I took the day off of work also to spend some quality time with him and do something fun. Seeing as it is going to be 50° today and that will be the last time till sometime in the spring, we decided to get a 2nd coat of paint on the entire boat. This way hopefully it can dry in a few days and then we can tarp it and put in the back yard till spring when we can finish it up. Doing this should please my wife as she’ll get her indoor parking back for the winter.

This is the end of building “Fowl Attitude“ till March…

Jeans Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Workwear

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You guys are doing a fabulous job!! So are we to assume for the next few months that the Da Carpender boys are going to be doing some gathering of all the necessities and then some extras so when The Fowl Attitude makes her maiden voyage she looks like a new rig?? I will put a five dollar bet that under the Christmas tree will be lots of goods for 2022 water fowl season!
Merry Christmas and looking forward to following the completion of the three musketeers and there build:p
Roger

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You guys are doing a fabulous job!! So are we to assume for the next few months that the Da Carpender boys are going to be doing some gathering of all the necessities and then some extras so when The Fowl Attitude makes her maiden voyage she looks like a new rig?? I will put a five dollar bet that under the Christmas tree will be lots of goods for 2022 water fowl season!
Merry Christmas and looking forward to following the completion of the three musketeers and there build:p
Roger
I‘m not gonna take that bet as I know what’s already been bought. HA!!

Merry Christmas to you also Roger. If you make it to the eastern end of the UP during duck season, give me a little notice and we will get you out with us. If you want to do some fishing on a private Oakland County lake, let me know too. The boys know our lake, and where to catch fish, as if they grew up on it. HA!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You guy's really have me jonesing to get back North. The new home has a 3 bay garage that my father-in-law and I are planning to use for a project much like this. Wife still has to have her parking, but still plenty of room otherwise. He has been shopping used boats since I showed him this thread at the beginning.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts