Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are what I put on my Polaris Ranger. I installed 6 forward, 2 rear. Never need more than 2 at a time. They are too bright. Can also get them with a 20" light bar and 4 cubes. The second is the set I will be putting on my boat. Along with stip LED lights in blue for the interior.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Start of electrical tonight. I probably should just cut everything out and start out fresh, but then Luke doesn’t get the pleasure of trying to figure out what in the world the previous owner was thinking. wires that have been cut and spliced all over the place, wire nuts spliced into wires that went to ends that had been cut and go nowhere. My favorite is the positive and negative leads that were cut/spliced at the same level as the drain hole and stuffed under the bilge pump. New list of supplies made for the trip to the store tomorrow.

What‘s life without a little excitement and learning experiences? We did get a couple lines pulled from the bow, to the stern then routed up and over to the console to be used for the LED lights when we get that far along.

Didn’t get far tonight, but we got to have some pretty good conversation. So, in reality, we actually got pretty far.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Electrical wiring

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Electrical wiring

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don’t drink, but I think I need to pour me a stiff one. I can see why the guy ran wire nuts and just kept cutting wires. If he would have just taken a little time and traced the wires he was needing to, it wouldn’t have been so painful. Everything is done that we can do on the electrical for now. Even ran a spare in case we decided to add something in the future. No intentions, but figured since it was open, why not.

The live well pump is dead, so we decided to not hook it up. The live well can still be used, just need to install the plug and fill with the “hand bilge” (1 gallon windshield washer fluid jug with the bottom cut out). I’m seeing the live well as being used more for storage anyway. Either way, pump is deleted. Have a wire ran to the bow to power LED light bar when I decide which one and get it ordered. All things considered, wasn’t a bad way to spend the afternoon.

Here is what we started with…

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Electrical wiring

and here is what we did today. If anything, it’s at least organized. All new connections were soldered and shrink wrapped .

Wood Gas Tints and shades Art Rectangle

Also got the new piece of wood for the bow cut and put in place. Thinking I will do some all weather carpet so my Shorthair has a non skid place to stand when he assumes the bow riding position.

Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive design Floor

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
While working on the electrical, I felt the foam was damp, so I put bamboo BBQ skewers in the foam last night. Came out and pulled the skewers this morning and they were soaked.

Time to spend a fun filled Sunday cutting out the old foam. Surprisingly, it isn’t that difficult and not bonded to the aluminum hull. A sawzall and mini pry bar and it comes right out. So far 1/2 way done and there is 87# of soaked foam in two big trash bags.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper

Couldn’t ask for an easier demo job.
Wood Rectangle Road surface Wall Flooring

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wanted to do something “Fun”, so we ran to Home Depot and picked up some indoor/outdoor carpet to do the bow. It needs to be done so we can mount the light bar when it shows up and also the trolling motor when we get that far. Plus it’ll be my shorthair’s non-skid perch when we are out boating…and hopefully his launching pad to retrieve ducks next season.

Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Wood

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Light bar showed up today. Waited till the youngest got home from his MMA training to let him unbox it. It was Amazon’s deal of the day on Saturday. It’s a 300 watt 12” Nilight that was $25. It’ll be perfect for our intentions.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Electronic instrument Electrical wiring

Hooked up the battery and had my son hold the wires together just to do a test run. I’d say $25 well spent. I’m more impressed that I was able to look at all the existing wiring and figure out how to hook it all up and run off of the toggle switch.

Cloud Atmosphere Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Figured why come all this way and not be 100% sure that all the rivets and seams are sealed and knowing the bilge pump actually works and not just makes noise. Put the plug in, got out the hose and filled it up.

Wheel Tire Wood Road surface Automotive tire

20 minutes later and the garage floor is bone dry.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt

Then got out the buckets to test the bilge pump. The youngest was impressed how much it could pump out. He even asked if he could operate the switch to get used to it just in case.

Sleeve Automotive tire Wood Tartan Gas

Satisfied that we can now let the hull dry out and then start installing all the bulk factory 2nd (for color) pool noodles that I bought to replace the waterlogged flotation foam. 99.99% will never need to use it, but for the $80 it cost, it’s not worth the risk in not having it when needed. Kinda like a CPL.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Got home and Luke was wanting to back prime/paint the floor with the same oil based Parker Duck Boat paint that we will be doing the entire boat in. How could I resist him wanting to get this done before his homework and the coming rains?

Plant Sleeve Table Grass Leisure

Plant Motor vehicle Asphalt Tree Road surface

Even did a little on the inside to see how much better it’s going to look than the solid white that it is now. Yeah, I think we are gonna like this color. Not sold on doing a complete camo paint job on this just yet. I’ll wait till we get that far and make a decision then.

Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Asphalt

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Floor screwed down with Stainless screws. The seat bases will provide extra hold down for the floor once we figure out where we want to put them. The one Butt joint was separated, filled with sealant then pressed together to make a watertight seal. The perimeter along with all screw heads were caulked with the same sealant (Sika Construction Sealant) that went in the butt joint. Now to wait a minimum of a week for it to cure, then it will be on to finishing up the bow/casting platform. Then the kids can have at it with brushes and rollers.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Engineering Composite material

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow Mike you are not only making a all outdoors boat but a long lasting vessel. Most importantly you are teaching and spending quality time with the Boys!! Very cool and you can tell they enjoy hanging with you too and not hanging on to a game controller!! I just bought a 1971 Alumacraft Yukon Friday and starting today she will be making her transformation into Duck/Handlining Rig
Roger.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wow Mike you are not only making a all outdoors boat but a long lasting vessel. Most importantly you are teaching and spending quality time with the Boys!! Very cool and you can tell they enjoy hanging with you too and not hanging on to a game controller!! I just bought a 1971 Alumacraft Yukon Friday and starting today she will be making her transformation into Duck/Handlining Rig
Roger.
The oldest is 5 hrs away at college so I sent pictures of the progress to him this afternoon. He responded with…he is going to come home this weekend because he wants to help and not let his brother get to do all the work. I am a blessed man.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts