Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys have outgrown their 14’6” Starcraft fishing boat with 15hp Honda, and have been steadily getting more and more into duck hunting, so I figured we would buy a boat that needed some work and make it our own duck hunting and fishing rig. Here is the beginning of “Fowl Attitude”, our 16’ Grumman with 50hp engine.
Tire Wheel Boat trailer Vehicle Boat
Boat Watercraft Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Naval architecture
Wheel Window Plant Tire Vehicle
Watercraft Boat Boat trailer Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Naval architecture

This boat will get a lot of usage in Michigan’s UP to include Lake Superior and the St Mary’s River, not to mention plenty of inland lakes down here in the South East part of the LP too.

Removing decals that have been baked on for 26 years proved to be a lot more laborious than I had thought, but with some time and good tunes, they came off…

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Automotive design
Wheel Tire Bicycle Boat Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then it was time to pull the rubber flooring that had trapped a ton of water underneath and was beginning to rot the plywood. This then led to removal of the plywood to start the process of replacing the floor.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

This is going to be a fun build to do with my youngest while the oldest of off at college. Thankful my wife is willing to park outside this winter so I can get the project done before fishing season comes along next April. I’ll update as we move along.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm jealous, have been dreaming of doing this for a few years. They make some really nice duck boats these days but they are loot! This way you can get everything you want, right where you want it. Definitely be following along on this one.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm jealous, have been dreaming of doing this for a few years. They make some really nice duck boats these days but they are loot! This way you can get everything you want, right where you want it. Definitely be following along on this one.
I did one about 10-12 years ago and it was a constant work in progress. Wish I had just started it and quit when I was done. Never really got to where J wanted it and traded it for a pop-up camper the boys could use.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That’s Awesome- any decals left warm up with a heat gun they come right off. I am not a carpenter but if you need any pointers on prep or painting or how to make your own stencils I can help you there. Over the years we counted back I turned 37 from canoes on up in size to duck boat’s. I made enough to put my son threw college with out him having student loans. Remember one thing if you put a blind on it like a beaver tail wait until you put the blind on before putting seats in. This one I am doing for us I am going to buy the blind chairs from Cabela they go all different heights and swivel and are sturdy. Plus great for fishing. With that boat you guys are going to be hunting like gentlemen!! Little portable grill for hot dogs and coffee hand warmer. A wonderful way to hunt. Keeps us in the loop! For ideas to go to Tinboats.com. I have learned the more open you keep it the better for hunting and fishing. The chairs are called Blackout something I forgot but get the ones with armrest then you have a place to lay your gun across. And those Grumman’s are absolute Tanks you can’t hurt them . You have a great blank canvas!!! And you definitely have the muscle to help you lol no one is taking his lunch money :oops:
Roger

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s Awesome- any decals left warm up with a heat gun they come right off. I am not a carpenter but if you need any pointers on prep or painting or how to make your own stencils I can help you there. Over the years we counted back I turned 37 from canoes on up in size to duck boat’s. I made enough to put my son threw college with out him having student loans. Remember one thing if you put a blind on it like a beaver tail wait until you put the blind on before putting seats in. This one I am doing for us I am going to buy the blind chairs from Cabela they go all different heights and swivel and are sturdy. Plus great for fishing. With that boat you guys are going to be hunting like gentlemen!! Little portable grill for hot dogs and coffee hand warmer. A wonderful way to hunt. Keeps us in the loop! For ideas to go to Tinboats.com. I have learned the more open you keep it the better for hunting and fishing. The chairs are called Blackout something I forgot but get the ones with armrest then you have a place to lay your gun across. And those Grumman’s are absolute Tanks you can’t hurt them . You have a great blank canvas!!! And you definitely have the muscle to help you lol no one is taking his lunch money :oops:
Roger
I will keep that in mind when it comes to the stencil work. I was looking online and they aren’t that expensive, but then again, it’s another expense that doesn’t have to be spent if you can make your own. Already bought 2 gallons of the Parker Duck Boat paint that will coat the inside and outside as a base coat. I have a few ideas of what I’d like to do with stencils for the camo, but will address that as the project moves along.

I’m liking the Millennium boat seats on swivel pedestals. I have one that straps to a tree and it’s quite comfortable. Made of mesh, so they don’t soak up water and come with a high back too. Haven’t bought any yet, so I’m keeping the options open.

As for blinds…I’m thinking this first year it will not have one. I really liked my last one (beavertail) that I modified to suit my needs better, but seeing as it is going to spend quite a bit of time up at the kids’ university in the UP, a blind would be impractical for fishing purposes and without a place to store it that doesn’t cost more money, I’m thinking this is going to be more of a transport vessel and a place to camp at night as we wait for morning light and yes a small grill and coffee pot will be on her as well. One thing we know how to do is enjoy life.

Yeah, nobody will be stealing the youngest’s lunch money. He is our own little Brock Lesnar. He is a black belt in MMA. Kid impresses the heck out of us with his strength and abilities.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That’s Awesome- if she’s camouflaged and your diver hunting don’t need a blind just squat down it seems we do better without a blind on divers. I love them millennium seats to . Sounds like you got her all figured out!! Keep posting pics of your build.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am jealous from afar! Over the years I and my brother have done 9 boats. Always beyond frustrating and cost a ton in beer. Enough beer to float a boat? Headed back to Michigan to live come spring and wife already agreed to let me buy one or rebuild one. Thinking about a rebuild. I will be watching for your updates.

A few thoughts:

Rod lockers that you can remove the rod separators and drop in shotgun cradles....
drop in padded bottom for the live wells to store the ammo in... less noise
threaded holes on the casting deck to bolt down the dog kennel....
have my own design of solid yet quick remove pop-up duck blind. Trailer-able without loosing all the grass.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am jealous from afar! Over the years I and my brother have done 9 boats. Always beyond frustrating and cost a ton in beer. Enough beer to float a boat? Headed back to Michigan to live come spring and wife already agreed to let me buy one or rebuild one. Thinking about a rebuild. I will be watching for your updates.

A few thoughts:

Rod lockers that you can remove the rod separators and drop in shotgun cradles....
drop in padded bottom for the live wells to store the ammo in... less noise
threaded holes on the casting deck to bolt down the dog kennel....
have my own design of solid yet quick remove pop-up duck blind. Trailer-able without loosing all the grass.
I like the way you think.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lookin’ good! Looks like a fun project.
You’re gonna have to join us. After all, you are a big contributor to the oldest’s addiction. He sent me this picture yesterday. Said he could study at night, there are ducks to hunt when not in class. This is a pretty cool way to sit and watch freighters go by. Said the three of them shot a few mallards, more teal and a goose.

Cloud Water Sky Water resources Nature

Food Tableware Ingredient Table Animal product

Food Tableware Recipe Charcoal Ingredient

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Not sure where you're located, or if you travel the I-75 corridor up north much. If you do, and you're interested in an Avery Quick Set blind, let me know. I bought a used one a couple years ago with grand illusions of setting up a boat. Kinda fell in love with fields and layout blinds instead. Open to all kinds of trades.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure where you're located, or if you travel the I-75 corridor up north much. If you do, and you're interested in an Avery Quick Set blind, let me know. I bought a used one a couple years ago with grand illusions of setting up a boat. Kinda fell in love with fields and layout blinds instead. Open to all kinds of trades.
Yes, I drive the 75 corridor to get to the UP. Might have to visit this once I get the boat painted and all the electrical done.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Being off of work a couple weeks recovering from a knee scope helps when you want to get something done and simply cannot just sit around all day.

Went this morning to get the required materials to replace the floor. Got all the wood cut and placed, but nothing fastened down as I want to do some electrical work before making things permanent. That’s going to be a nightmare after looking at what the guy left me. But, this will do for now.

All the edges of the MDO plywood were chamfered and sanded to alleviate any splinters and to accentuate the joints, not try to hide them as it will be impossible to do. The plan is to use stainless fasteners when the time comes and also polyurethane caulk at the butt joints and along the entire perimeter then paint the entire boat with oil based paint made for aluminum boats. Throw in a little silica sand for traction on the wood and this thing “should” outlive me, just need a little paint on the floor every couple years when it comes to regular maintenance.

Hood Automotive design Wood Flooring Floor

Floor Wood Flooring Gas Machine

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No progress on the boat today. Decided to take advantage of the best day we are gonna have for a while and taught the youngest how to prolong the life of his truck by undercoating it. He did good. It’s fun doing this stuff together.

Tire Wheel Car Shoe Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle door

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Started messing with the electrical today. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the guy would elevate the navigation lights and NOT hook them up. I’m assuming he elevated them to get above the trolling motor, but why not make them work?

Wood Interior design Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wood Flooring Floor Asphalt Gas

Pulled the front panel and was pleased to find leads for the trolling motor (he had a battery on the casting deck with alligator clips going to the trolling motor) and wires for the navigation
Hey, it worked, but didn’t need the extra battery on the casting deck.

Wood Composite material Building material Engineering Metal

Drilled a hole to accept the wires from the front navigation light.

Automotive tire Wood Tire Bumper Composite material

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Wood

Then a friend offered to sell me his old trolling motor at a decent price so J picked it up this morning and wondering now where to place it. I’ll mount it permanently once I replace the wood in the bow. Will install electrical connectors on the power supply and tuck it inside the hole as pictured below. I am actually preferring to mount the trolling motor permanently to the bow to fend off somebody who sees an easy target and decides to try and take it. Make it hard and they will either walk away, or destroy it trying.

Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle fork

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood

Now to start making a list of electrical supplies I will be needing for what’s ahead. I’m thinking this is going to be it for today. Good progress has been made. Probably going to run a couple extra spare wires while I have everything open just in case I decide to install LED flood/spot lights in the future (probably will so just thinking ahead).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If anyone has some suggestions for LED flood lights for the bow, please let me know as I have zero clue what to look for besides the obvious…light up as much as humanly possible with as few lights as possible (on a small budget). Also, what size/type wire should I run to power the LED lights I plan to install? I ask this as I’m sure quite a few of you have installed these on your rigs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts