Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals.

I have some extra birds again this year. Chukar and Melinistic pheasants.

PM for info.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

I have 7 chukars left if anybody needs any. The rest are for the youth hunt.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would really love to start getting my dog onto live birds, but when is a good time? She's 5 months old now, but I'm still working on some stuff with her too. At what point in the training should she start getting into the live birds. I'm interested, but still learning myself.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
At her age you may want to start w/ quail or pigeons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Fink,

Anytime is good. The earlier the better. But listen to your dog. If she is skittish then wait. Chukars fly good and hold good. If you are going to shoot over her make sure she can handle the noise. Above all else, make sure it is fun for her.

Gary

I would really love to start getting my dog onto live birds, but when is a good time? She's 5 months old now, but I'm still working on some stuff with her too. At what point in the training should she start getting into the live birds. I'm interested, but still learning myself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mr Fink,

Anytime is good. The earlier the better. But listen to your dog. If she is skittish then wait. Chukars fly good and hold good. If you are going to shoot over her make sure she can handle the noise. Above all else, make sure it is fun for her.

Gary

I've had her in the field a couple of times now and have just been working with bumpers and some with scent (grouse right now). She's been doing ok with that. Also had her around the gun range couple times too and she doesn't seemed phased at all by gunfire to this point. I have yet to shoot over her, but I'm just trying to take it slow. I appreciate your feedback. I would love to see her reaction to a live bird or two. Hopefully very soon. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
just had my setter on birds for the first time this past Saturday(almost 8 months old). At first he didn't even seem that he was interested in them. Walked past the launcher a few times. Finally he sniffed it but never even came close to a point. We launched the bird/shot it and let him have it for a little bit. By the third bird he got a little better. I just wish he would quit trying to eat them:corkysm55. But we will work on that later.

Sunday I was able to get a bird from Rugergundog and he helped me set it out for Emmett. This time he actually tracked the sent and pointed the bird. Was not a hard point but pointed nun the less. Did that a few times. Every time we would throw up a dead bird, shoot and let him get it. The last time we let the bird fly and Bob shot it. The dog took off after it chompped on it for a few seconds them I called him to me.

So if the dog doesn't seem interested don't panic. I know I was.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, but all the birds I intended to sell are gone. Thanks for all the interest. I will let you know if I can get some more.

Thanks again,

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts