Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been reading about training dogs using birds. i haven't hunted birds in a long time, and my last bird dog was a cocker i had as a boy. grandfather trained him.
from my reading a lot of trainers seem to use pidgeons for much of their basic training. quartering, and such.

seems smart as they are cheap and easy to get.

what are the laws/rules as far as pidgeon use in michigan?
is there a time of year thats restricted?

my intention would be to use live birds with clipped or taped wings for very basic field work. not shooting over them as i want to wait until well into training before introducing shooting.
i'll be working with my new little buddy a cocker. he has only basic obedience skills at the moment.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If anyone asks you trapped them - you did not buy them. I think one DNR person told us you legally can't buy them. As for shooting them anytime no restrictions. However, it is my understanding that you have to have a current small game permit on state land even if it's used for dog training. Here's a DNR telephone number you can call 1.248.359.9040 I think a LT. Malick is still at that office he's always been a lot of help with my questions.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
FYI - you can't trap them (legally) either, w/out a permit.
Blow them away, when ever you want, but can't trap them....:rolleyes:

Its been discussed here before.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your right some cities make you have a permit (St. Clair Shores) however, Detroit as long as you get permission from the building owner your fine to trap. So check with your city office to make sure. Sorry I didn't include this in my first response to you.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can certainly buy pigeons. homers . racers. rollers, all sorts of them.
clearly if someone gives you permision to trap on their land, i don't see the dnr wasting much time on pigeons, specialy since most will end up being free'd anyway. i figured id raise a few since its a long time interest anyway.
just wondered if their was a time of year you aren't supposed to train.

nice thing about raising pigeons, homers in particular. is long as you don't shoot them, they will be waiting for you when you get home.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
you can use non nattive birds from july 15 to april something... i could be wring about the dates ... if you want to train in the quiet seasoon on private land you need a permit..

if you buy pigeons get young ones that squeak. leave them in the coop until they are older they hopefully will return to your coop.. otherwise you will be buying alot of pigeons.

I wouldl suggest contacting a trainer and pay them to show you how to train your dog using their birds.. its an inexpensive aternative

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 on the above. Buy some squeekers and put them in a small loft( Make one cheap just buy the bob door) keep them in there for about a month and then start letting half of them fly around at a time they will start to recall and you can keep increasing the disrance you let them loose. After that you can use them over and over unless you shoot them.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Maybe im a realist but unless you trap and or blow away a boat load of them i don't think you will get a hassle from anyone. They are like coyotes and skunks....pests! If you are catch'n a few to train your dog i doubt you will have any problems. I would "think" the DNR would have bigger issues to pursue......but then again ive been pulled over going 5mph over on the highway in a drug dealing zone of my city:dizzy:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my idea is to pick up a few squeekers maybe a half dozen. my grand kids and i will have fun with them anyway. then once i get the dog some time running in the fields and get him in better shape. we will see what he is like around the birds.
planning on getting utility birds so the worst i'll end up with is some pickled pigeon eggs and squab for dinner.
i have a barn and green house so placing a nice sized coop is not a problem, and there is all sorts of room for them. just have to set the floor up so nothing can dig in.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Maybe im a realist but unless you trap and or blow away a boat load of them i don't think you will get a hassle from anyone. They are like coyotes and skunks....pests! If you are catch'n a few to train your dog i doubt you will have any problems. I would "think" the DNR would have bigger issues to pursue......but then again ive been pulled over going 5mph over on the highway in a drug dealing zone of my city:dizzy:
Nope. Dnr won't hassel you about the trapping, but the city animal control officer and the animal rights folks will, for sure. Non lethal nuisance animal control permit is required, and it is available from the state. You must mark your traps and empty them daily. Birds must be disposed of in a particular way, or legally sold - although that is not clearly defined. I've taken over 1,000 birds out of circulation, and I promise you, you will have conflicts if you do it enough. I've had problems with animal control officers that think they have all the power, face to face confrontations with animal rights weirdos, had traps stolen, smashed and sabotaged. But, it is still worth it. The kids and the dogs enjoy what I bring home anyway.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts