Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 6 month old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon currently at Wing and Shot gun dog training for the next few weeks. This is my first bird dog, I have minimal training supplies but just joined my local NAVHDA and will be doing some training come March with them as well as doing more training on my own. I know there is so much out there as far as supplies from check cords, bumpers, dog first aid kits, and much more. Tons of stuff out there for sure. I need to start buying all these supplies so I'm curious what do you have that you take with you for training, for the hunt, for yourself and your bird dog? Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
E-collar, check cord, good leash, kennel collar, training bumpers and maybe a dokkens duck. You may also want to buy a dummy launcher. You can use it for training, and also exercising your dog in water when it's too hot for running. You can spend a lot of fun time shooting those bumpers out into a quiet lake and sipping a pop while your dog gets his workout in. Once force fetch is done they love doing this.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Well, a WPG is a pointing dog.
Start with a decent check cord and a piece of old carpet.
Work on standing with distractions.
Work on inspecting him.

Them I'd get a bird bag or crate, and start planting birds for him, working on a quick, solid, initiation of Point due to scent.

Then a cheap starter pistol and 100 22 crimps

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I have a flusher and I normally train with my friends dogs too. But anyways, I took and take:
1) check chord (before conditioned to the E collar and ranging wasnt trained)
2) bumpers
3) rope to tie dog to tree when running drilled with other dogs
4) E collar
5) whistle
6) water and collapsable water bowl ( good to have them get used to drinking in the field and keep them from over heating)
7) starter pistol

Once you train them to hold and force fetch I would recommend getting chukars for planting. Make sure to have them trained to hold with a soft bite so they don't kill the birds. You can normally use the birds for quite a while.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
E-collar / transmitter, whistle, check cord, pinch collar for pretty much everything.

For bird work, I will have my electronic bird launchers and starting pistol. If you do this, one of those little bags made to hold birds while you plant them make things much easier.

For retriever training, bumpers and/or dokkens are almost always involved, and when I have time to set things up either a friend/helper or electronic launchers may be involved. Starter pistol, heeling stick, holding blinds, and something to tie the dog off / chain him up.

Other things that I almost always have in my truck while training are a large bottle of water and bowl, kennel, fan, brush, tick picking tool, dog first aid kit, towels, chargers for all my electronics, gloves, extra whistles.

Reactions: Jake114

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Lots of good advice has already been given here,

Just remember, that you are polishing the diamond.

You can’t put in what isn’t there, but you can make what is there work very well.

So, making your dog into a good citizen, good obedience behaviors, getting the dog comfortable with people poking and probing him and checking them over after every hunt, are all things that are conditioning and training issues, not genetic ones.

The place that’s starting your dog will be able to explain all of that stuff but it really doesn’t take a whole lot of equipment to get started training a very nice dog, especially if they’re well bred and precocious.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I assume you joined SEMI NAVHDA? If so reach out to them because they do have training tools available for members to use such as bird launchers.

I trained my dog through NAVHDA over the last couple years and all I bought was a bird box and bird bag. Be courteous to the members and feel free to ask for help, most are more than willing if they have the time or tools. That said everyone will assume you have the basics, like multiple lengths of leads, water bottles, retrieving dummies, e-collar (up to you on that one), whistles.

They will also have birds (usually chukar or quail) pretty much every training weekend so you can order those through email the week of training when you get to that point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I assume you joined SEMI NAVHDA? If so reach out to them because they do have training tools available for members to use such as bird launchers.

I trained my dog through NAVHDA over the last couple years and all I bought was a bird box and bird bag. Be courteous to the members and feel free to ask for help, most are more than willing if they have the time or tools. That said everyone will assume you have the basics, like multiple lengths of leads, water bottles, retrieving dummies, e-collar (up to you on that one), whistles.

They will also have birds (usually chukar or quail) pretty much every training weekend so you can order those through email the week of training when you get to that point.
Yes I just joined SEMI NAVHDA so looking forward to that training! Thank you for the information. Out of curiosity what lengths of leads did you buy? I think I only have a 4ft, 6ft, and a 15ft check cord. Need to get some dummies and a whistle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes I just joined SEMI NAVHDA so looking forward to that training! Thank you for the information. Out of curiosity what lengths of leads did you buy? I think I only have a 4ft, 6ft, and a 15ft check cord. Need to get some dummies and a whistle.
I have a 4ft, a few 6fts and two 30ft. For a young pup in the field you will want the 30ft leads at least, many people use much longer. Dummies are cheap, check LCS or GDS, they have specials every now and again. I think I bought 7 or 8 for like $15 or something similar at least. Personally I don't use a whistle because everyone does. I went with hand signals and voice training until the dog was old enough for an e-collar and since have started using the tone from the collar as my recall. Once the dog sees me I can use hand signals to cast or just allow the entirety of the recall.

I will suggest you go through Obedience classes with the pup. I am starting soon with my dog and wish I would have done it much sooner. SEMI can get kind of crazy on saturdays when bird pickup is and you dont want to have an unruly dog. Everyone gives a pup a free pass, especially there, but its even better when your pup is well behaved. Is your dog a Phil dog? Either way reach out to Rich through the SEMI NAVHDA facebook group or page whatever it is, he has a Grif and can probably give you some training tips on the breed. His dogs are really nice to hunt over.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
A lot of good posts but a 3Oft check cord not a lead. A check cord is light, thick and prohibits tangling in weeds/brush. I highly advise a dog first aid kit along with a multi tool, Benadryl, peroxide, shoe laces (tourniquet trap removal etc.) duct tape, whistle. These are basic needs the multi tool, shoe laces, whistle and bottle of water need to be carried on you for immediate use when necessary. Best of luck with your pup.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
A lot of good posts but a 3Oft check cord not a lead. A check cord is light, thick and prohibits tangling in weeds/brush. I highly advise a dog first aid kit along with a multi tool, Benadryl, peroxide, shoe laces (tourniquet trap removal etc.) duct tape, whistle. These are basic needs the multi tool, shoe laces, whistle and bottle of water need to be carried on you for immediate use when necessary. Best of luck with your pup.
Curious about the tourniquet trap removal?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 4ft, a few 6fts and two 30ft. For a young pup in the field you will want the 30ft leads at least, many people use much longer. Dummies are cheap, check LCS or GDS, they have specials every now and again. I think I bought 7 or 8 for like $15 or something similar at least. Personally I don't use a whistle because everyone does. I went with hand signals and voice training until the dog was old enough for an e-collar and since have started using the tone from the collar as my recall. Once the dog sees me I can use hand signals to cast or just allow the entirety of the recall.

I will suggest you go through Obedience classes with the pup. I am starting soon with my dog and wish I would have done it much sooner. SEMI can get kind of crazy on saturdays when bird pickup is and you dont want to have an unruly dog. Everyone gives a pup a free pass, especially there, but its even better when your pup is well behaved. Is your dog a Phil dog? Either way reach out to Rich through the SEMI NAVHDA facebook group or page whatever it is, he has a Grif and can probably give you some training tips on the breed. His dogs are really nice to hunt over.
Cool! Yes obedience is next. Yes I have one of Phil’s pups. Rich is actually is recommended me to Phil and I have been going back with him on Facebook getting all set up in SE MI NAVHDA he’s been a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Cool! Yes obedience is next. Yes I have one of Phil’s pups. Rich is actually is recommended me to Phil and I have been going back with him on Facebook getting all set up in SE MI NAVHDA he’s been a wealth of knowledge.
Ok awesome. Don't tell him I said anything or he will get all cocky about how I said his dogs are good LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.