Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've never cleaned a grouse before and was wondering if someone could outline it for me? ... i intend on shooting a bird this morning and i will be trying to clean it whether i get any help or not and i will probably mutilate it without any pointers.... i have NO idea where to start so ANY info will be appreciated and helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm sure you'll get all sorts of varying answers but a quick and easy way is this:
grab some shrub pruners and clip off the head, legs and wings, grab the bird in both hands(bird breast facing you) and place your thumbs on the breasts. Grab the feathers/skin in the mid part of the breast and peel both sides back at the same time, this should reveal the breast meat. Keep pulling all the way to the back/ Place finger between what is left of the neck and the body and pull down, this will remove all the innards. When done properly a bird can be cleaned in about 20 seconds and you have a very clean breast ready for the frying pan.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your comment: "I intend on shooting a bird this morning"

Good luck with that:D ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
It depends on how you want to cook it. If your baking or smoking the bird take the first post and go that way. I sometimes use a gut hook to get the innards out but it's not neccessary just cleaner.

If you just want the breasts to saute or include with pasta or the like, skip the legs and wings and just peel the skin and feathers back off the breast and slice the two breast halves away from the breast bone and back. Either way is easy and only takes a minute or two.

Let me know how you did. I've never heard anyone quite that confident in going out and "getting a bird today". Best of luck!!!
Steve

·
Registered
127 Posts
With the bird on its back, grab the skin between the legs and pull it off the breast. Now pull the skin of the legs. Next use game shears to cut off the legs and cut out the breast. No need for gutting.

Grouseman

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i spent all day (started out heading up towards hale) trying to get away from the pine forests... i couldn't seem to find the right area.... stay away from pine forests right? ... no birds, nothing even seen. but, i'm going tomorrow and i feel really confident this time i'm going to get my first bird....lol.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is a tough time a year to shoot your first bird. they have been thined out and are smart. But you might get lucky, look for tracks, they look like small turkey tracks. follow em to the bird.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
went out and broke my own record.... 7 flushes! shattering the old record of 2! unfortunately i still came up empty. only 2 shots were "fair" at best. the rest were damn near impossible with the thick uh.... thicket. one i didn't even see at all just heard the flush come from the other side of the thick PINE bunch. i'll be sore tomorrow, but wow, what a great time, i wish the season didn't end wednesday.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Hang in there sadworld sounds like it's only a matter of time and you'll get that first bird. Make sure and take it's picture to share with us and for you years form now when you will be a seasoned veteran and you can look at your first bird. It will be a charished memory at least my first grouse was.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sad World,
Not sure who told you to stay away from pines but try to moderate that thought. During the late season birds often begin to congregate around cedar smamps and low areas w/ thick conifers to get shelter and roosting spots. They wont go all the way into some of these stands but the edges sometimes produce large concentrations of birds.

The downside as you have found out is that they are near impossible to shoot in that thick stuff. Find a buddy and you may get a dumb one that will flush your way after your friend kicked him up. My last bird met it's end that way!

It's a tough time to get birds so don't get discouraged. Best of luck in 2004!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts