Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while having a discussion with my daughters, they brought to my attention that Bill Gates is now advocating that “rich” countries abandon the traditional way of eating meat and start eating lab grown, synthetic meat. Bill Gates has made several investments and has ownership in synthetic meat companies, is his advocacy sincere, in that he truly believes we need to eat fake meat to save the planet or is he doing this as a way to promote his fake meat company investments? His claim is we need to eat this garbage to save the planet and combat climate change which is being exacerbated by herds of cattle farting. What do you think? Personally, I think Bill Gates is a jack ass and I will never eat, nor feed my family any of his lab grown soylent green.

·
Premium Member
9,483 Posts
I don't know, Bill Gates is not the worst businessman out there.

It also figures that "vat grown meat" will probably be what sustains humans living and working is space. So, maybe buying in and hanging onto the stocks is a good idea. Could really help your descendants out.

·
Registered
14,603 Posts
I agree 100%, especially on Gates. I watched a program on that soy meat a couple years ago. They were presenting their soy to taste testers, tweaking the texture and flavor until the judges were satisfied. No thanks!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
There may be more to that as he also owns the most farm land in the USA ~250K acres, plus he is big on vaccines since his early products were so acceptable to viruses.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Over populations of deer right here in Michigan and many other states, and they want us to eat meat from a petri dish? No thanks, not because I'm against Bill Gates, but because nothing is better than shooting your own dinner, or growing it on your own land.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yesterday, while having a discussion with my daughters, they brought to my attention that Bill Gates is now advocating that “rich” countries abandon the traditional way of eating meat and start eating lab grown, synthetic meat. Bill Gates has made several investments and has ownership in synthetic meat companies, is his advocacy sincere, in that he truly believes we need to eat fake meat to save the planet or is he doing this as a way to promote his fake meat company investments? His claim is we need to eat this garbage to save the planet and combat climate change which is being exacerbated by herds of cattle farting. What do you think? Personally, I think Bill Gates is a jack ass and I will never eat, nor feed my family any of his lab grown soylent green.

Soylent Green,A grim reminder.Don't let it happen in reality!!!

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Gates certainly thinks different than I do, but no doubt he's an financial genius.

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Eating farther down the food chain is healthier for you and the planet. And sometimes your wallet too.

The plant based Whoppers really aren't that bad. And no anal seepage like those Olestra chips of old.

That said, I'm not about to give up a platter of wings and a PBR.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Just saw him on Fox Sunday,about climate change.Was asked about his homes and private jets.He said that he buys carbon credits and does other things to help planet.He said that carbon credits are very expensive.So,has long as you are rich and can afford to buy carbon credits,everything is fine.Not so much for us poor people.We have to give up everything that causes climate change.So,how does buying credits help reduce CO2.Total nonsense.Do as I say,not as I do.God help us.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Eating farther down the food chain is healthier for you and the planet. And sometimes your wallet too.

The plant based Whoppers really aren't that bad. And no anal seepage like those Olestra chips of old.

That said, I'm not about to give up a platter of wings and a PBR.
What Gates is doing is nothing but forward thinking. 100 years from now daily life will be much different than what we know today. Think back 100 years, a whole lot of what we ate was different than today. Today we have brussel sprouts, table grapes, strawberries, sweet corn, cherries, watermellons, 12 months a year. I'm sure meat will be processed and developed much different than today.
Reading the threads it's apparent most people are reluctant for change. Change will happen, it's happening now, and it will be for the better. Sadly, we won't be around to enjoy the change.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Gates is right.
With the ever increasing world human population, it’s not possible to devote ever greater quantities of space and resources to the production of animals for food consumption.

We already have food riots in certain parts of the world, and animal protein is a very small part of the diet for many world cultures Gates is just talking about the logical extension of that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
What Gates is doing is nothing but forward thinking. 100 years from now daily life will be much different than what we know today. Think back 100 years, a whole lot of what we ate was different than today. Today we have brussel sprouts, table grapes, strawberries, sweet corn, cherries, watermellons, 12 months a year. I'm sure meat will be processed and developed much different than today.
Reading the threads it's apparent most people are reluctant for change. Change will happen, it's happening now, and it will be for the better. Sadly, we won't be around to enjoy the change.
No doubt change is a good thing, but in terms of our meat and food industries, I think going backwards towards how we used to do it 100 years would be better for both the planet and the people. More small farms, a few chickens in every backyard along with a small vegetable garden. It's a little bit of a naive way to think, but surely having more small farms and less huge feed lots couldn't hurt.

Have you ever heard of Joel Salatin? Guy has some great ideas on how to restructure our food industry, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
No doubt change is a good thing, but in terms of our meat and food industries, I think going backwards towards how we used to do it 100 years would be better for both the planet and the people. More small farms, a few chickens in every backyard along with a small vegetable garden. It's a little bit of a naive way to think, but surely having more small farms and less huge feed lots couldn't hurt.

Have you ever heard of Joel Salatin? Guy has some great ideas on how to restructure our food industry, in my opinion.
There isn’t enough space.

The reason that beef cattle are finished in a feedlot or chickens are raised in the chicken house is because the pounds of meat generated per square-foot is higher.

Soon or later you end up maxing that out.

1 - 20 of 398 Posts