Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question, I've noticed that my bilge pump was running pretty steady while fishing today, I have a 1700 2006 Lund fisherman. Could I have a leak? I also noticed when I pulled my boat out of the water, there was not any water coming from drain plug. I have two live wells, but today I only used one. Do I need to put the plug in the other live if I'm not using, could this be the source of water in bilge. New boater any info is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Are you sure you have an automatic bilge pump? Not all Lunds have an auto switch, it is an option on many of the boats.I can tell you how my Lund works, I have one switch that works the pump for both livewells. If I do not use one of them I have to shut off the inlet nozzle in that well, if not, water will pump in that well all day and run out the drain if it is not installed. I do have an auto bilge pump and that dumps out the right rear corner up high.
Like I said, not sure how your boat is set up so, I am only telling how mine is set up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I forgot to mention, the livewells on both of my boats drain overboard, I doubt your livewells would be designed to drain into the bilge.
Just wondering if this was the water you seen draining out the side, maybe not the bilge pump. Just a suggestion!

·
Super Moderator
37,365 Posts
Eh... do you leave the boat outside? Rain water in it? Over the summer I left my boat in the rain for a day. Heavy rain. Thought I got all the water out but man it pumped water every time I flipped the switch for about 2 hrs. It was because the carpet and any gear I had left in the boat was still dripping water.

Water will enter the unused livewell through the drain. However, it only gets up to the level of the water on the outside of the boat. It hits an equilibrium and its generally only 2-3" of water in my 1800. Only way for that to be the source is leaky livewell. Or... maybe check drain hoses? Livewell supply hose?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention, the livewells on both of my boats drain overboard, I doubt your livewells would be designed to drain into the bilge.
Just wondering if this was the water you seen draining out the side, maybe not the bilge pump. Just a suggestion!
I have an option for bilge pump auto and continuous, I been having it on auto, I do see water coming out the side drain near the back of the boat, my livewells have and option to fill and aerators which come on periodically to circulate air. I'll pay more attention next time when I'm out to the live wells and drains. If I had an actual leak, I was thinking when I pulled the boat out the water it would come from the drain plug.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have had days that my bilge will turn on during the day, and at the end of the day I would have some water come out the drain. It varies how much by when the bilge last ran and the angle the boat is sitting when I pull the plug. I always look in my bilge thru the access hatches in the rear and if the pump has run I never seen it completely dry. The bilge pump always leaves a small amount of water around it once it starts sucking air.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh... do you leave the boat outside? Rain water in it? Over the summer I left my boat in the rain for a day. Heavy rain. Thought I got all the water out but man it pumped water every time I flipped the switch for about 2 hrs. It was because the carpet and any gear I had left in the boat was still dripping water.

Water will enter the unused livewell through the drain. However, it only gets up to the level of the water on the outside of the boat. It hits an equilibrium and its generally only 2-3" of water in my 1800. Only way for that to be the source is leaky livewell. Or... maybe check drain hoses? Livewell supply hose?
Yes, I leave it outside, but I do have a cover.

·
Super Moderator
37,365 Posts
Were you by chance taking a little more water into the splashwell than normal? Anchored from the rear maybe?

The reason I ask is if I get excess water in the splashwell it leaks though the access hole for the bilge. My boat does not leak a drop but I have to pump it out once in a while if waves are slapping against the transom. It gets worse when you fill up a live well or two due to the added weight.

This wouldn't explain no water when you took the plug out. Generally a bilge won't take it down lower than the drain.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Take it out a few times. eventually you will know if its leaking, a live well problem, or weather. Should be obvious. Than fix it. Usually if you had a leak and pulled it out you will see water leak out of the bottom after it say for a while.
My lund leaks but its a 2000. Ive snapped off more than a few rivets. Rivets do get loose over time and break/leak. I just replaced and sealed 12 rivets which all started to leak this year.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Another possibility is when the water level in the livewell exceeds what the drain can handle, the excess goes over the out lip edges of the livewell and runs into the bilge. No problem.

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
My lund leaks but its a 2000. Ive snapped off more than a few rivets. Rivets do get loose over time and break/leak. I just replaced and sealed 12 rivets which all started to leak this year.
Therein lies the most likely answer. All riveted boats will eventually develop wet bilges, those subjected to the twisting and flexing of big water will do so quicker.
That doesn't mean they are unsafe and will swamp. But you should have a minimum of two electric bilge pumps and a manual pump/ bail bucket as well.

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
My '06 Fisherman - auto is timed on/off, continuous is filling as long as the switch is on.
I think you are referring to the live well pump having timed on and off. Bilge pumps are usually on a float switch on auto, not a timer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts