Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just boat a 16ft 89 bass tracker on Friday and have spent the weekend upgrading all the old components. I purchased an 800 GPH bilge pump which seems to be a sufficient recommended size from what I’ve read, but it doesn’t have enough power to send water out the side of the boat. Question is “ is something not adding up or is that indeed just not enough power to send water up the hose out the side of my boat” if not any recommended sizes so I don’t buy one to small again? Thanks for any advice. (picture is of path the water has to take to be expelled from the boat)

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone, I just boat a 16ft 89 bass tracker on Friday and have spent the weekend upgrading all the old components. I purchased an 800 GPH bilge pump which seems to be a sufficient recommended size from what I’ve read, but it doesn’t have enough power to send water out the side of the boat. Question is “ is something not adding up or is that indeed just not enough power to send water up the hose out the side of my boat” if not any recommended sizes so I don’t buy one to small again? Thanks for any advice. (picture is of path the water has to take to be expelled from the boat)
Answered my own question, the tube needs to be at a continuous upward angle, any sags in the line could create an airlock causing the pump to not be able to do its job. 800gph is more than enough for the job.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Something doesn't seem right, the hose does not have to be at a "constant upward angle". With an 800gph pump you should have flow like a full on garden hose. If not, something is wrong.

500gph pumps are pretty much standard. I have a 500gph pump as primary in my salmon boat with a 1500gph "aw shucks" pump just in case.

I'm not a fan of the cheap, corrugated wall bilge hose. It kinks, eventually cracks and adds big flow restriction that reduces the rated output of the pump quite a bit. I've been installing/running smooth wall hose for years. My setup with the 500gph pump shoots a garden hose stream of water about 2' from the boat when on. My 1500gph pump has a hose you could almost fit a golf ball inside. It's never been put to use but I expect it would flow about like a fire hose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T
Something doesn't seem right, the hose does not have to be at a "constant upward angle". With an 800gph pump you should have flow like a full on garden hose. If not, something is wrong.

500gph pumps are pretty much standard. I have a 500gph pump as primary in my salmon boat with a 1500gph "aw shucks" pump just in case.

I'm not a fan of the cheap, corrugated wall bilge hose. It kinks, eventually cracks and adds big flow restriction that reduces the rated output of the pump quite a bit. I've been installing/running smooth wall hose for years. My setup with the 500gph pump shoots a garden hose stream of water about 2' from the boat when on. My 1500gph pump has a hose you could almost fit a golf ball inside. It's never been put to use but I expect it would flow about like a fire hose.
thanks for the reply, I will be changing out the hose then, right now it’s just the cheap stuff, plus it’s old.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Did you wire the +\- properly? Is the hose plugged? I wired my backwards once and it was pushing water out and not sucking it in. I have that same pump and it shoots 5 ft out the boat.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
thanks for the reply, I will be changing out the hose then, right now it’s just the cheap stuff, plus it’s old.
The smooth wall hose I use is made by Shields. It has a hard spiral coextruded inside it to keep it from kinking. It's a bit more expensive than the corrugated stuff but worth it.

You may find mention on the net of clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store being used for bilge pumps. I saw that on occasion when I worked as a marina mechanic. I'm not sure what the long term effects of UV and oily bilge water though are on vinyl though. Vinyl also seems prone to kinking, collapsing and doing crazy stuff when it gets warm. Do it right the first time and don't worry about it ever again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts