Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I hope this is the result of passing on smaller bucks and not the result of hunters feeling they can't take small bucks to buck polls for the fear of being ridiculed by other hunters.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
poz said:
I hope this is the result of passing on smaller bucks and not the result of hunters feeling they can't take small bucks to buck polls for the fear of being ridiculed by other hunters.
no one was shooting little bucks - "sanborn township just south of alpena. Over 4000 acres enrolled in 6 or better."

That's a bunch of acres -

ferg....

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
When you consider that there are more than 23,000 acres in a township, 4000 is not all that much, but it is a start. 6 points or better would not work effectively in So. MI. But I beleive it is great in NE mich. where minerals are lacking. On my families 80 we have one neighbor who practices and on e who does not. Its still tough to know that he is blasting everything he sees, but we have had lots of patience and are seeing SOME results. It takes time. The area will never be Pike county, but we didn't want that. We just wanted to see some better bucks. None of the bucks on the pole will make pope and young and only half would make CBM, but all of them are great bucks for the area and thats all we ever wanted.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Poz, I'd assume it's just the opposite. As more hunters realize that there's more mature bucks around because more hunters are joining the program, they'll no longer feel the need to be secretive about any decent buck they may have seen or killed and will instead feel positive about celebrating that fact and encouraging others to join them in a new way of thinking that is clearly working anywhere tried. On top of it, 50% of our hunters have never even heard of QDM, yet they're benefitting too because others nearby are practicing better thoughtout deer thinking.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Poz, I'd assume it's just the opposite. As more hunters realize that there's more mature bucks around because more hunters are joining the program, they'll no longer feel the need to be secretive about any decent buck they may have seen or killed and will instead feel positive about celebrating that fact and encouraging others to join them in a new way of thinking that is clearly working anywhere tried. On top of it, 50% of our hunters have never even heard of QDM, yet they're benefitting too because others nearby are practicing better thoughtout deer thinking.

right on! Thats the only reason they put a buck pole in town was to promote the 6 or better VOLUNTEER enrollment. Guys are really excited about it. To think it was only 2000 acres just a couple years ago. It would be great if we could get half the township enrolled. Just imagine how exciting a hunt could be with a TRUE rut and being able to watch bucks and know that you can let them go and so will your neighbor. What a feeling !!that would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts