Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
wow really no kidding deer used to being fed all year,by hunters are starving ,thats why there eating your stupid bushes....come to northern mich ,where we dont have field after field.of corn.i had deer eating cedars in late november..thats why i still have doe tags.dont like taste of cedars.

·
Registered
18,260 Posts
They've had kills for 20 years? Methinks the news stated.

Used to be deer near the "newer" highway ,and on/near Perry Street..
I don't notice them in the area anymore.
The village needs a cull no doubt , from the news article anyways.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
The deer they plan on culling live along the undeveloped western shoreline of the Muskegon River, roughly from the Maple Street Bridge (M-20) downstream to the water treatment plant which is about 6/10's of a mile.

This isn't the only place that deer inhabit inside the city limits. Other areas near the river and Ferris holds deer. They can be found through the east side's industrial park, and I have seen them feeding on sugar beets at the Co-Op on 4th Avenue when baiting was allowed. On the west side, deer travel along Mitchell Creek where they can get quite a ways into town undisturbed by homes. They also live in the Highland View Cemetery.

Sadly, there just isn't much room in any of these areas that a recreational hunter is going to be able to harvest these deer. All of these places have daytime use by others.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The deer they plan on culling live along the undeveloped western shoreline of the Muskegon River, roughly from the Maple Street Bridge (M-20) downstream to the water treatment plant which is about 6/10's of a mile.

This isn't the only place that deer inhabit inside the city limits. Other areas near the river and Ferris holds deer. They can be found through the east side's industrial park, and I have seen them feeding on sugar beets at the Co-Op on 4th Avenue when baiting was allowed. On the west side, deer travel along Mitchell Creek where they can get quite a ways into town undisturbed by homes. They also live in the Highland View Cemetery.

Sadly, there just isn't much room in any of these areas that a recreational hunter is going to be able to harvest these deer. All of these places have daytime use by others.
There are always going to be big numbers of deer in the part of town having the issues. The outskirts are filling in and deer are being pushed into these areas. They could have a public hunt if they would allow hunters to cross a property line to get a deer. Many of these deer are actually travelling farther than you think to feed. Most of the fertilized plants are in town better food sources than what is or was closer to their bedding.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
There are always going to be big numbers of deer in the part of town having the issues. The outskirts are filling in and deer are being pushed into these areas. They could have a public hunt if they would allow hunters to cross a property line to get a deer. Many of these deer are actually travelling farther than you think to feed. Most of the fertilized plants are in town better food sources than what is or was closer to their bedding.
I don't see many of the folks living down in mortgage flats being open to some stranger tracking anything through their backyards.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Well they can keep the deer then. Lol
They should have a tax increase then if they want the deer managed.
Between the ignorant amount of property tax mills charged, and their 1% city income tax, I'm pretty sure they have enough money to pay for it already.

Just awfully happy not be living in that town any longer.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Where I live we have a small National Park that can hold about 30 deer without excessive damage to the vegetation . They used to have a select draw for licenced hunters to do the cull (hunters paid for the hunt through licence purchase) but the greenies got all upset at the bad hunters killing the poor deer. So the MNR (DNR) did the cull (tax payers pay ) well they found that out and started to sceam. Then they found a native band in the area so they now use them to kill the deer (tax payers still pay ) with still some protest every year. They push them to the end of the park which is a peninsula and then slaughter them. They kill so many at once that they can't use or give away the deer meat etc but that is better than allowing hunters to go in over a couple weeks and kill one deer and use all of it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts