Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time fishing the Big Manistee! Caught several small trout, as well as bass and perch. All were caught and released (with awesome underwater release footage on my GoPro cam) Also managed to get several crawfish. Overall great trip, appreciate the advice everyone gave me beforehand!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now is that second trout a brookie? I was pretty sure it didnt look like a small brown, but im fairly new to trout fishin

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Now is that second trout a brookie? I was pretty sure it didnt look like a small brown, but im fairly new to trout fishin

A rainbow

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opps i meant second picture, so the first trout...

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 2nd picture would be a brown. Brook trout are actually char and while browns and bows feature dark spots on a light background, a brookie ( as will a lake trout or spake ) will have light spots on a dark background. To see the difference, take a quick look at the brown, brookie and rainbow albums in this site's photo gallery. You'll just have to disregard all of Splitshot's bronzebacks and panfish (impressive as they are) on the front pages of the brookie and rainbow albums. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/index.php

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2nd picture would be a brown. Brook trout are actually char and while browns and bows feature dark spots on a light background, a brookie ( as will a lake trout or spake ) will have light spots on a dark background. To see the difference, take a quick look at the brown, brookie and rainbow albums in this site's photo gallery. You'll just have to disregard all of Splitshot's bronzebacks and panfish (impressive as they are) on the front pages of the brookie and rainbow albums. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/index.php
For me it is still hard to tell, especially because I was comparing the spots to that of a mature brown (which obviously look different). Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts