Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried this past weekend and did not see or catch one. What is the best baits/lures/flies to try for the fall steelies. I was told live minnows work well!?:fish:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm, I've never heard of live minnows for steelhead. I've only fished for them in the spring so far, but have done well with tiny jigs with wax worms, single egg flies, and big black flies (stoneflies?).

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Spawnbags tied with pink, chartreuse, or yellow netting work well for me. Drifted on the bottom, or floated under a bobber.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Here's my favorite Steelie Baits.

1. Spawn bags. Pink, Chartreuse, Peach (sometimes even on a Jig)
2. Spinners...homemade, but store bought spinners also work.
3. Jig and Waxies
4. Hot n Tots

I have seen people slay the steelies on minnows when nothing else was working

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going tomorrow to give it a try. Bring my 6# rod. Should that be enough rod to take a steelie.:16suspect

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Going tomorrow to give it a try. Bring my 6# rod. Should that be enough rod to take a steelie.:16suspect
Whether or not it is the right rod depends on the skill and experience of the rod holder. In the right hands rod A will do the job, but in the wrong hands it won't.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
As whit said, if you know how to handle it, a 6 will be okay, unless you get that once in a life time huge steelie. I'd probably feel better with a 7, but thats just me. Would rather have just a little more beef to help stir the fish away from junk, if you can.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well........ I've caught a lot of trout on the fly rod. I know how to handle it. I mostly steelie head fish with a spinning rod and usually do well. I have fly fished before for steelies but never got one. My goal is to get 1 with a fly rod. I have and used to use my 8# with 8 pound line before some time ago, but never got one. I guess my thinking is to go to my 6# with lighter line, maybe 6 or even 4 pound line????

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just trying to get all the info I can before i go. Well, Im jobless, scrapped up enough money to go fishing for a few days, might as well. Going to tie flies tonight, try my luck tommorrow!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts