Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if I'd get moer responses here or in the cold water section, but I figured this fell into the boat rigging" catagory.

I bought this boat from Brown Its Down last December and I need some advice on how to set it up for big lake fishing. Below is a picture of what I have to work with. I took off the board(which may have been a mistake), but I've still got the rod holders and everything....

I was thinking I would put the rod holders(the set of three) parrallel with the length of the boat on the sides. I was thinking somewhere, somewhat near the seats...like 1-2' behind. I am planning on getting downriggers and I was thinking of putting them near the bench seat on the sides of the boat and facing out. I wish I could describe my plans better, but I'm not really one with words.

My questuion is, would my set up(if you can understand what I just tried to say :rolleyes: ) would work? Is there a better way? Should I add some type of removable board? What would you do?

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Foxy,

I used a 24" piece of Bert's tracking on each gunwale, towards the stern. My setup is 2 downriggers and 2 rodholders for dipsey rods. This season I plan to add 2 more rod holders for additional dipseys. If I go to a 4 downrigger setup (not sure if I will do this) I will likely add a board across the width of the boat and mount the riggers to the board. Here are some pictures, fairly vanilla setup, but it can be expanded in the future.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics!

Do you have any trouble getting to the releases with the balls behind the boat?

Chris

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
No problem getting to the cannonballs. The riggers are on swivel mounts, but even without the swivels, there is no problem. The back of my boat is pretty open. When we are trolling we remove the third seat and access is good.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I'd take one of each of those 3-rod holder mounts and put one on each side gunall just a little behind those plastic rod holders. Those'll hold all the rods you need for dipseys and planer board rods. Mount a rigger on each side similar to BJ's and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
do you have an idea what kind of spread you want to run? how many rods? inline boards, big boards, how many riggers and dipseys? it would really help to know this. there have been a couple of other threads that were "show your rig" or what not. i cant remember what the threads title was but try searching that or does someone remember? good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Kroppe, is that a VW on the back of your boat ?:) It's as big as one !

Just kidding you, nice looking rig.:cool:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
what area do you live in? and get me alist of all the items u would like on the boat. if your near by we could get together and i could show ya the best lay out for your boat and your way of fishing.
i am not full of it i have been rigging but for 12 years and been a deck hand on lake huron while growing up. many of the bass boats you see on tv were done by myself. my belief if an unclutter rig make for the best fishing platform. will you use outriggers, plannerboard or kites for spring and fall fishing?
any questions let me know and i will help. lets keep the waterway clean and the land unharm

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Beave-That was sort of what I was thinking. It keeps things simple, but effective(I would think).

PolarBear-I am planning on running 2 rods off downriggers(maybe run 2 stackers), 2-4 dypsies and 2 inline planers with leadcore. Nothing too fancy. I have 9 big lake rods, but I am not sure if I will be able to use them all. I have tried looking in the posts you mentioned, but it seems like everybody that posted has taken the picture off the internet and it is no longer available. Maybe I should start a new one....

wildcoy73-check your PMs.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
If you wanted a fishing machine and easy rigging, I would get the longest berts or pursuit tracks I could get on each gunnel(looks like you have about 6' of flat gunnel). Make sure it is mounted really secure. Basically what kroppe has, just about 4 times as long. I run all my 20 rod holders and 4 riggers, all off my gunnels. The chute is wide open for fighting fish. The track system will give you maximum flexibility and good performance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If it where my rig, I would mount the 2 downriggers as close to the center of the boat as possible- maybe even on a Pursuit Track in place of the wood that is there. Angle them out towards the corners while fishing and pop the rigger that was on the side of the fish (if it doesnt have the fish on it already) and get it out of the water for netting the fish. Keep the corners clear while netting.

As far as the dipsy holder and core holders- I would get rid of the plastic holder and mount a Pursuit Track as close to the seats as possible (or comfortable). This will give you the most room on the back corner for netting the fish upon its arrival to the boat. Make sure you put some kinda backer under the gunwhale for extra stability on the Pursuit Track.

I can draw you a diagram if you would like.....

Jeff- BMT

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Put your top up(or where it would be if you get one), and lay everything out how you want it. Then sit there a while imagining rods popping and bodies flying across the boat. Jump up and grab rods. Netting them, getting them in the box. Adjust the riggers. Now check to make sure nothing was in the way or could be easier in a different location. I put nearly 40 hours into the planning and layout of my boat. Once you lay it out right, mount everything right, you should never have to even think about it again. Except maybe what an awesome job you did.;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bite Me Too-I see what you are saying and I see how that could make space. You mentioned a Pursuit Track. Could my Tite Loks mount to this or would I have to find an other rod holder to put on it. If they fit, that is the way to go. I like the idea of being able to move them around.

STEINFISHSKI-I have considered getting a cover(not one on there yet). I see how that can have an effect on where to put the rods. I guess I didn't really think of that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I can never figure out how to upload these darn images:rolleyes:

Can someone help me? It is in my photo gallery titled "Rigging.jpg"

Thanks in advance....

FoxyC- as far as the Tite Loks and the Pursuit Track- not sure if they are compatible. You may need to do a field test.

Good Luck

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the pic. Did you draw that yourself? I try to draw stuff on paint, but it never comes out good. I'll have to print that for referance.

For the dipsy rods, should the low wire dipsy rod be shorter than the High dipsy or doesn't it matter since the divers are directional?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes I did draw it- I draw for a living;) . Check out Trippin Dipsies avatar and mine- both logo's for our boats.

Regarding the dipsies- Not necessarily. We actually use salty's on our rig for the dipsys cause you can adjust the angle in which the rod is parallel with the water. You can also do this with adjustable rod holders (which look like the ones you have). The idea is that the "Wire" is going towards the water (with the tip almost in) and the other is slighty above parallel with the water. This creates a separation between the 2 dipsy lines avoiding tangles or the poles hitting one another.

Good Luck

Jeff-BMT

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I see now. I discovered that Tite Lok made a track that should perform similar to the Pursuit Track and it can hold my rod holders. One more thing I'll have to buy....I didn't know owning a boat would be so expensive.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I didn't know owning a boat would be so expensive
ha! run now... quit today! this is just the tip of the iceberg. there is something called the "2 foot syndrome" once you have a few fish on and see a bunch of other boats your done for!:D

make sure those gunnels will support your riggers and rods. i have seen rivets pop and the 4 foot boom of a rigger hit the water before i grabbed it.:eek: mighta peeled the gunnel right over. myself i would put everyting on a board. but i tend to overkill a bit. better safe than sorry.;)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Originally posted by Foxy Carp
....One more thing I'll have to buy....I didn't know owning a boat would be so expensive.
They say, "Buying the boat is the CHEAPEST part of owning the boat".

And the "one more thing I'll have to buy..." list, NEVER ENDS.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts