Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
I'll guess that she will go about 130# field dressed.

L & O

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
893 Posts
Seems the ones I see are all towing along little ones so I stopped shooting them long ago. To each their own though I just can’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I haven't killed a doe in years. If they have fawns they get a pass. By the end of season we have lots of orphaned fawns because the neighbors buy all the doe permits they can and try to fill all of them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with Martin, those older mature does are not only usually capable of dropping 2 fawns each year, but they are much smarter and can do a better job at mothering and protecting their fawns- ensuring the herd. I now leave those matriarchs and take the younger does.

BUT, I am by no means scoffing at your interests. She for sure will be a freezer filler!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Martin, those older mature does are not only usually capable of dropping 2 fawns each year, but they are much smarter and can do a better job at mothering and protecting their fawns- ensuring the herd. I now leave those matriarchs and take the younger does.

BUT, I am by no means scoffing at your interests. She for sure will be a freezer filler!
I am out for the freezer, and limited time to hunt. Than hunting a very popular area near a big city. I won't let her pass me by.
I am going to have venison while I can. I know chances are very high that any deer I see in October will not make it to december.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
Take out the big old smart ones first... especially if they have fawns. Do that for a few years and dumb your herd down.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
i know the fawns are weaned and don't need mama, depends on how hungry i am if i shoot.
I have no feelings... I've killed WAY more does then bucks.. babies will be just fine near me.

Take out the big old smart ones first... especially if they have fawns. Do that for a few years and dumb your herd down.
Those big ol smart ones are the ones that bust ya !! I'll kill all of them I can. One of my favorite hunts till this day is just that, 137#s dressed. Biggest doe I've ever killed & smart! Until I out smarted er ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts