Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great weekend chasing the gills! Saturday my dad and i went out and came home with 21 gills all well over 8"

THese were the biggest fish of the day all going between 9" and 10"

My dad also caught 4 bass one being 18"

On sunday a buddy and i went out to the same place, we didn't catch as many fish but we caught even bigger fish.

Here is my first master angler redear

This big girl went back so i could receive my patch. But the day just kept getting better.

This was the big girl of the day. 11 1/4"

We brought back 16 with all of them over 9" and the majority right around 10". I've never caught gills like this and it was even more fun to get it done on a fly rod!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea but the majority of the females we caught were spawned out and i would say at least half of the fish were males.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A fly rod with a spider + dropper fly and a lot of fish were also caught on a 2 inch purple worm.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You dad was drinking the Bud, right Ryan? :lol:

Congrats on the fish! The boys and I will be hunting for them this weekend on Lake Ovid. Hope we have luck... or is that skillz... like you!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the bud went in the fish batter. No one in my house drinks we have beer in the fridge for the sole purpose of cooking fish:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have to ask.....What do you keep your fish in after being caught....The eyes on some of those look like the fish was half cooked....I found that a fish basket with a floating top is the best if you don't have a live well...it keeps the fish alive until your done for the day. ( some usually are still alive up until cleaning time.) Can't see by your pic's if your boat has a live well or not.
Nice Fish by the way!!! Heading to a lake tomorrow that has them that size.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first day i kept them on a stringer and the water was just way to warm so they died but the next day i put them in a cooler with ice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts