Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
You thought that a 10 acre property and an adjoining 10 acre property would yield "giant SLP bucks consistently"?

But, lo and behold, year after year you only get pictures of 2.5 year old bucks until firearm season begins. And your conclusion is that crossbows during archery season are the problem?

What was the problem during the first 10 years you owned the property before crossbows were legalized?
This is pretty tame considering how rowdy most "It's the second week of deer season and I'm pissed" threads usually go.

Throwing in the towel before snapping an ass or two is pointless. :LOL:

Reactions: November Sunrise

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You thought that a 10 acre property and an adjoining 10 acre property would yield "giant SLP bucks consistently"?

But, lo and behold, year after year you only get pictures of 2.5 year old bucks until firearm season begins. And your conclusion is that crossbows during archery season are the problem?

What was the problem during the first 10 years you owned the property before crossbows were legalized?
I realize that in my initial post I did say "consistently", however that was somewhat "tongue in cheek"....what I DID think, was that I would from time to time have mature deer show up on my property....especially if I passed the 1 1/2 & 2 1/2's that consistently bed on my place. THAT hasn't happened. THAT was the point I was trying to make..

I'll pass on responding to your comments related to x-bows, although I don't think you
interpreted my string of posts accurately (or perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was trying to convey). And I won't comment any further on them, as I really shouldn't have brought that topic up in the first place. All it does is cause arguments.....

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Bob

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I will comment on xbows, they are legal. I know of several people that didn’t bow hunt, that now do because they can use a xbow. Again, they are legal, they have also brought on additional pressure to the deer herd.

As far as a increase in older deer, I think more of us have decided we would rather let the smaller deer go.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have to disagree with the crossbow comments. Sure they’ve lead to an increase in archery harvests. But if they didn’t, most of those deer would just be killed during gun season anyway. It’s a lot easier to get into range with a rifle than it is with any kind of bow, especially with older bucks. A dead deer is still a dead deer no matter what season it was killed in.

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
I will comment on xbows, they are legal. I know of several people that didn’t bow hunt, that now do because they can use a xbow. Again, they are legal, they have also brought on additional pressure to the deer herd.

As far as a increase in older deer, I think more of us have decided we would rather let the smaller deer go.
Archery hunter numbers peaked at 380,000 in 1998. The number had decreased to 285,000 a decade later when crossbows were legalized for archery season use. Last year archery season hunters totaled 322,000.

Firearm deer hunter numbers were once over 750,000. Last year the number was 488,000.

Put it all together, and the hunter who complains about hunting pressure in 2021 has no idea what the hunting pressure was like back when hunter numbers were at their peak.

·
Premium Member
31,231 Posts
Ya can’t eat the antlers

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I’ve been hunting since 1977, I know pressure and how it was back then. I wasn’t complaining. The pressure I was referring to, the success rate of xbows over compounds or recurves.

Bow hunters definitely are more productive then they once were, with the advancement in all equipment used.

Archery hunter numbers peaked at 380,000 in 1998. The number had decreased to 285,000 a decade later when crossbows were legalized for archery season use. Last year archery season hunters totaled 322,000.

Firearm deer hunter numbers were once over 750,000. Last year the number was 488,000.

Put it all together, and the hunter who complains about hunting pressure in 2021 has no idea what the hunting pressure was like back when hunter numbers were at their peak.

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
I’ve been hunting since 1977, I know pressure and how it was back then. I wasn’t complaining. The pressure I was referring to, the success rate of xbows over compounds or recurves.
If there is a difference in success rates between crossbow and compound hunters the difference would be so minimal as to be of no impact on the deer herd. And if I were a betting man I'd all my chips on a crossbow hunter over a compound hunter in terms of who is more likely to make a clean kill.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If there is a difference in success rates between crossbow and compound hunters the difference would be so minimal as to be of no impact on the deer herd. And if I were a betting man I'd all my chips on a crossbow hunter over a compound hunter in terms of who is more likely to make a clean kill.
Is that because crossbows are more lethal?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
For what it’s worth…. I think some people need to let go of things out of their control…. You can’t control what your neighbor is going to shoot or the guy sitting in public 200 yards away is going to shoot. Set your own standards and try your best to stick to them. If your neighbor wants to shoot a1-1/2 year old buck so be it there isn’t anything you can do about it except vent on a Public forum. Which does no good any way. I have my own rules that i do my best to stick to. 3.5 years or older…but I love venison.. as does friend and family but i have a no doe in November rule. And to be honest shooting a doe in December has its own set is challenges.
i guess my point is …set your own standards.. learn from every hunt… have zero expectations cause that just ruins the experience… and quit worrying about Joe neighbor that does things differently than you….

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There have been several booners shot in Michigan this year.. including the possible new state record 204" in Mason during archery season. They just need age. the NW13 is a testament to it. People being forced to pass spikes and forks are getting the opportunity to shoot the giant that usually walks behind them. The buck I shot on the opener of firearm dwarfs the 155" we have on the wall already. Though he probably wont break 130" in actual score from tine length, lol.

(Before anybody bitches about forced APRS, the point is increased age is the massive result and it gives people a visual proof)

People are putting in work to improve the quality of their habitat and with the exodus of hunters from the sport, those that really get into it are reaping the rewards even more.

Point is: They're here, you just have to wait longer than you want to to shoot them.

·
Premium Member
31,231 Posts
81 - 100 of 152 Posts