Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
We like killing little bucks in my neighborhood. It's a dangerous block for a deer to be on, unless you're a doe, no one will ever shoot you if you're a doe. God we have fun. SE michigan, nice mix of AG and wood lots, very healthy deer population, could be a recipe for some hawgs. Not going to happen any time soon.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes! There are things you need to follow with that but yes. Like for one you have to pick a season. You can only choose between first and second gun season.
No bow hunts? I’m asking as I had a private land owner in Iowa fall into my lap here recently that said I could hunt anytime. Interesting just finding this part out now

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Marion buck pole wasn't too shabby this year. They broke their record of bucks on the pole for the 15th and 16th with 74 total. The winner was a 17pt that scored 158 and it wasn't the only one to score in the 150s. I don't think I've seen a 150" deer there in all the years it's been running.

And here's a few SLP bucks - no ag for miles. I don't think anyone in Iowa or Saskatchewan would be passing these unless they were sure a bigger one was around.

View attachment 800491
View attachment 800490
View attachment 800492
Yeah saw they had a good turnout.. I haven't been there since they moved it from the shoe but keep on Zuckbook

There's a couple a dandy's shot every year around Marion always has been. There's been some mature deer taken in that area this year that are in the 130s that ya don't see at the buckpole.. Great deer. for the area.. I used hunt a good piece of property s of Marion, all the years even with a good section passing young deer, never really got the pucker factor..

Most of my buddies circa early 00s were from Montcalm even the size difference of their 2-3 year olds was very noticeable and that's a short jaunt down 66..

Reactions: Justin

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this thread, but I read the first post as one trying to understand how those who hunt where bigger bucks are more common can enjoy hunting in Michigan? Maybe I was wrong but here’s my take:

I’ve hunted my own camp in NW Ontario every year since 2003. I haven’t taken any of the absolute monster bucks that may appear up there but have seen some astounding bucks and shot a couple that are far bigger than what I’ll likely get where I hunt in the areas I hunt in Mid and N Michigan. I hunt long and hard up there and on the long drive back I think I could just quit my Michigan hunt camp and hunt a bit longer up in Ontario, then go out on the local state land I used to hunt. It’s an every season thought.

Then I hurry up to my Michigan camp and see my friends that are so excited about opening day, but it’s not such a big deal to me because I’ve hunted for big bucks at least 9 straight days already. I hike up to my blind on a ridge the next morning similarly calm until I feel the cold silence as I settle in, and when I hear the “karunch karunch karunch…” of a big buck shuffling thru the fallen leaves before first life I try my best to not have a heart attack.

I’ve been around a bit and love deer hunting here because I just love deer hunting.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
We like killing little bucks in my neighborhood. It's a dangerous block for a deer to be on, unless you're a doe, no one will ever shoot you if you're a doe. God we have fun. SE michigan, nice mix of AG and wood lots, very healthy deer population, could be a recipe for some hawgs. Not going to happen any time soon.
You think your having fun now, just imagine that same block your hunting with older and bigger deer. If it happened there would be no turning back for you. Guarantee it..
Ignorance is bliss….

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
24 Posts
A lot of guys are talking about going out of state to get a big buck. My brother does this too, I get it, who doesn’t want a trophy.

Here is my opinion on that, everything is relative. A trophy in Michigan is a pass buck in Iowa. A Iowa trophy is a pass buck in Saskatchewan.

You can also divide Michigan into regions, north to south. Southern bucks tend to get bigger because of the additional protein, agriculture. Acorn crops are hit and miss, not reliable to build big racks in northern woods.

Of course, if a buck gets older it will get a better rack. Until we reduce the take of bucks in Michigan, we will have few big racks. Maybe that’s what makes a 20” 8-10 point special in this state.
Here's a thought. Instead of all the Michigan hunters going out of state to shoot big bucks why dont they go to the other states and "FILL THEIR FREEZER" with "MICHIGAN SIZED BUCKS" and then come home and hunt for trophies?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Although I'm pretty sure that your post is intended to be sarcastic....in reality, it's like that in a LOT of areas in SE Michigan.

Case in point....I live on 10ac., in Livingston County, and next to my property is a 10ac., "Nature Preserve " with no hunting allowed. A creek runs through my property, and my property (and the neighboring Preserve) are both incredibly thick, nasty cover, and BY FAR the best bedding cover in the section. When I first bought the property 22 years ago, I had visions of shooting giant SLP bucks consistently....I mean, how could I "not"...it honestly is a great "looking" property.

After living here for all those years, I have come to realize that it isn't going to happen! The reality is almost NO bucks live past 2 1/2...it just doesn't happen! I've repeatedly let young bucks go, hoping that eventually one will make it to maturity, but it NEVER happens....EVER. There are just way too many small parcels surrounding me, and it seems like each one has 2-3 guys hunting it.

The attached pics, are of 2 bucks we had on the property this year, but they are representative of what we consistently get year after year. As you can see, they are "nice" 2 1/2 year olds, that have the potential to be really good bucks in another year or two. I have 28 pictures of them from this season, right up thru the morning of Nov. 15th....and none since then. If this year follows what we've seen every past year, I won't ever get another picture of either buck. This happens pretty much every year. I used to hunt behind the house quite a bit, with the belief that eventually, one would "make it", but after 22 years, I've resigned myself that it isn't likely.

I rarely hunt here anymore.....Still run cameras, but it's the same story every year.....

Until the "Michigan Mentality" changes (which I doubt will ever happen), I've resigned myself ......
Plant Deer Elk Natural landscape Reindeer
Plant Nature Deer Sleeve Grass

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Although I'm pretty sure that your post is intended to be sarcastic....in reality, it's like that in a LOT of areas in SE Michigan.

Case in point....I live on 10ac., in Livingston County, and next to my property is a 10ac., "Nature Preserve " with no hunting allowed. A creek runs through my property, and my property (and the neighboring Preserve) are both incredibly thick, nasty cover, and BY FAR the best bedding cover in the section. When I first bought the property 22 years ago, I had visions of shooting giant SLP bucks consistently....I mean, how could I "not"...it honestly is a great "looking" property.

After living here for all those years, I have come to realize that it isn't going to happen! The reality is almost NO bucks live past 2 1/2...it just doesn't happen! I've repeatedly let young bucks go, hoping that eventually one will make it to maturity, but it NEVER happens....EVER. There are just way too many small parcels surrounding me, and it seems like each one has 2-3 guys hunting it.

The attached pics, are of 2 bucks we had on the property this year, but they are representative of what we consistently get year after year. As you can see, they are "nice" 2 1/2 year olds, that have the potential to be really good bucks in another year or two. I have 28 pictures of them from this season, right up thru the morning of Nov. 15th....and none since then. If this year follows what we've seen every past year, I won't ever get another picture of either buck. This happens pretty much every year. I used to hunt behind the house quite a bit, with the belief that eventually, one would "make it", but after 22 years, I've resigned myself that it isn't likely.

I rarely hunt here anymore.....Still run cameras, but it's the same story every year.....

Until the "Michigan Mentality" changes (which I doubt will ever happen), I've resigned myself ......
View attachment 800652 View attachment 800653

You ever have a chat with some your neighbors?? Throw the idea out about some trigger control? It has to start somewhere. Heck they could be thinking the same thing you are and you wouldn’t even know it.

·
Registered
471 Posts

You summed it up nicely, my story is similar. The story represents 99 percent of the state and this is why guys leave the state to hunt other states for bigger and better opportunities at mature bucks. I wish like many others here that Michigan would improve, 36 years later hunting and it never has.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
There is no doubt deer hunting is fun, that’s why most of us do it.

The reason for the post, with slight exaggeration by me, the size of a trophy, IMO, has a lot to do with where it’s taken, Geographically! A smaller buck in lake county is bigger accomplishment then a equal sized buck on a 600 acre farm in Jackson county.
Nothing more. Wether it’s the hunting pressure, genetics, or protein available doesn’t matter. Again, just my opinion.

The hunters that get ia 150 in Michigan, have a better trophy than those going to destination states and getting a 150.

And there is nothing wrong going anywhere to hunt, not the point. There are just more big bucks in other states.

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this thread, but I read the first post as one trying to understand how those who hunt where bigger bucks are more common can enjoy hunting in Michigan? Maybe I was wrong but here’s my take:

I’ve hunted my own camp in NW Ontario every year since 2003. I haven’t taken any of the absolute monster bucks that may appear up there but have seen some astounding bucks and shot a couple that are far bigger than what I’ll likely get where I hunt in the areas I hunt in Mid and N Michigan. I hunt long and hard up there and on the long drive back I think I could just quit my Michigan hunt camp and hunt a bit longer up in Ontario, then go out on the local state land I used to hunt. It’s an every season thought.

Then I hurry up to my Michigan camp and see my friends that are so excited about opening day, but it’s not such a big deal to me because I’ve hunted for big bucks at least 9 straight days already. I hike up to my blind on a ridge the next morning similarly calm until I feel the cold silence as I settle in, and when I hear the “karunch karunch karunch…” of a big buck shuffling thru the fallen leaves before first life I try my best to not have a heart attack.

I’ve been around a bit and love deer hunting here because I just love deer hunting.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I’ve got the same issue in Mason county. I’ve got a 80, and down the road a 40. They never make it, a lot get shot with a rifle in October, in fact this year there were more shots then than on the 15th.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You ever have a chat with some your neighbors?? Throw the idea out about some trigger control? It has to start somewhere. Heck they could be thinking the same thing you are and you wouldn’t even know it.

Yes I have...repeatedly. Many don't even hunt themselves, but allow "friends" to hunt. Most of the rest, are of the "just wanna get my buck" mentality. There is one guy that is "like minded", but he has given up, due to the same reasons as me, and also no longer hunts. It "is what it is"....

41 - 60 of 152 Posts