Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of guys are talking about going out of state to get a big buck. My brother does this too, I get it, who doesn’t want a trophy.

Here is my opinion on that, everything is relative. A trophy in Michigan is a pass buck in Iowa. A Iowa trophy is a pass buck in Saskatchewan.

You can also divide Michigan into regions, north to south. Southern bucks tend to get bigger because of the additional protein, agriculture. Acorn crops are hit and miss, not reliable to build big racks in northern woods.

Of course, if a buck gets older it will get a better rack. Until we reduce the take of bucks in Michigan, we will have few big racks. Maybe that’s what makes a 20” 8-10 point special in this state.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
A lot of guys are talking about going out of state to get a big buck. My brother does this too, I get it, who doesn’t want a trophy.

Here is my opinion on that, everything is relative. A trophy in Michigan is a pass buck in Iowa. A Iowa trophy is a pass buck in Saskatchewan.

You can also divide Michigan into regions, north to south. Southern bucks tend to get bigger because of the additional protein, agriculture. Acorn crops are hit and miss, not reliable to build big racks in northern woods.

Of course, if a buck gets older it will get a better rack. Until we reduce the take of bucks in Michigan, we will have few big racks. Maybe that’s what makes a 20” 8-10 point special in this state.
What's your definition of a trophy buck in Michigan?

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I wish that I could pass along (not my place to do so) the pics I have on my phone sent to me from friends, relatives and co-workers of MI slp bucks. They would not be passed by many in Iowa. Booners are Booners. Seems like more every year. No MI is not Iowa. But the slp, at least, has come a looong way in the past 15 years. JMO.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I wish that I could pass along (not my place to do so) the pics I have on my phone sent to me from friends, relatives and co-workers of MI slp bucks. They would not be passed by many in Iowa. Booners are Booners. Seems like more every year. No MI is not Iowa. But the slp, at least, has come a looong way in the past 15 years. JMO.
The Mibuckpole page on Facebook is a testament..

Southern Michigan has had alot of giants that would be Trophy's anywhere in the country..

One thing I've noted their 20 is a dividing line as far as number of bonafide giants seen very few north of there..

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Most guys don't enter their bucks in places like CBM so there's no real way to post up a list of results by county. Like mentioned, M1Buckpole is a good but small reflection of what the SLP has been producing but many more are not posted there then are.

It's definitely improving over say 10-15-20 years ago where a 120" 8-10 was something special where as now that is creeping up to the 140-50" being something special. And bigger than that are being killed more frequently.

Michigan is improving no doubt about it but we've trailed most other states for so long that it'll take a while to be recognized as a big buck producing state.

State or maybe just zone 3 wide APR for both tags would give us a big boost in big bucks.

·
Registered
750 Posts

100%

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This quote alone announces to everyone that you've never hunted Iowa or Saskatchewan. I'm not figuring out what point you're trying to make.

As stated I’ve not hunted either. The point, everything is relative. A big buck for the geographic area in which it was taken.

I have friends that have hunted both places, they came back with nice bucks. I’ve seen bigger in Michigan on this forum. Which would you consider the bigger accomplishment ? That is the point.

The average size of a Saskatchewan buck is larger than a Iowa buck, from what I’ve seen.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Maybe But what kind of Soil is in SLP as To NLP? Sand is most have in the NLP so comparing Iowa where that is Primary AG Lands makes a different as better food sources means better Antlers can't talk about any thing in Canada but the pressure is Much Less there so buck can get bigger just how It Works. Sure Bucks are getting bigger and sure the SLP are but who has Access to the Private Lands to see and possible Take a better Bigger Buck. As Most do Not have the Access! Again Mixing Apples and Oranges very Different as It has been and always will be just then add in Winter Kills here and then add Poor Food Sources here. Sure some plant Fall Kill Plots but Deer Need a Good Food Source Year Round as they might in Iowa as there is 3 pieces to the Puzzle Gene, Age and Good Food Sources when you get ALL Three that is where Thing COULD Change but again It is Michigan and when you take too many Antlerless the deer numbers will drop as will the Gene Pool Potential so since we can only do are part with Food Sources If you have Private that might just might Help but most are into all that added time and work one needs to to do and sure some here are but the majority of Michigan Deer Hunters are here or hard core working plots and food sources like fruit and nut trees ETC and Passing on Small Bucks (which should be a Hunter's Choice)! Otherwise you are losing out to some that rarely see a Buck for whatever the Reason and Then tell them when They Do it does Not the Required points on a Side. Seems to take away from some that like to deer hunt but lose interest. Again Most Here are Hard Core while 3/4 of Michigan Deer Hunters AREN'T!
But the DNR and NRC are Catering to a Small Group that will divide Deer Hunters.
Newaygo1

·
Registered
20,283 Posts
Not trying to push a size limit here.... Or insult a happy hunter.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If we didn't hammer two year old eight points. Three year old eight plus points . Michigan would be showing more of the higher scoring racks more often.
Again , I'm not against hunters taking any eight point.
But those taken early simply don't represent thier full potential yet.

We have a lot of hunters. A very generous season and bag limits.
The better/best racks that do turn up are evidence of potential.
Going out of state to hunt does not change the whys of Michigan's antlers.
To compare , then far more than what Michigan can grow is involved.

Less hunters?
Lower harvest rates?
Higher standards of what buck to kill?
Shorter seasons?
It's all been argued.

Age and nutrition and number of bucks left to age has more to do with Michigan than hunting outside of Michigan.

Want a big rack? Go where they exist. The whys are known and established.
And that can be done here in Mi..
A small percentage of Mi. But then , you're hunting a very small percentage of the herds make up. By design ; and by practice.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Newago1, I get what you're saying but I think zone 3 would be the focus, not the entire state. And it's private land in zone 3, not public that have even more potential. I don't mean to piss on the NLP or UP but it is what it is. Zone 3 has the potential they are lacking. And it's private managed land for the most part that out of state hunters seek in other states. I know some guys that have hunted DIY in states like ohio and Iowa and it may be better than Michigan public land but it's not the promise land featured in hunting magazine's or how those states became recognized as big buck states. Plenty of locals in Iowa that don't have private land to hunt and complain about their public land just like Michiganders.

The SLP has the potential of some other states but the hunting mentality needs more change to be truly comparable to other states. I am not saying that would be a good or bad thing, but mentality and less hunters are a notable part of the equation that others states have that michigan doesn't.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
The Mibuckpole page on Facebook is a testament..

Southern Michigan has had alot of giants that would be Trophy's anywhere in the country..

One thing I've noted their 20 is a dividing line as far as number of bonafide giants seen very few north of there..
Marion buck pole wasn't too shabby this year. They broke their record of bucks on the pole for the 15th and 16th with 74 total. The winner was a 17pt that scored 158 and it wasn't the only one to score in the 150s. I don't think I've seen a 150" deer there in all the years it's been running.

And here's a few SLP bucks - no ag for miles. I don't think anyone in Iowa or Saskatchewan would be passing these unless they were sure a bigger one was around.

Plant Bird Tree Green Beak

Plant Terrestrial plant Fence Tree Grass

Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Wood Tree

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
Agreed. HUGELY different than it was 15 years ago.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
I have couple of jaw droppers pics from my own cameras that I’ve only shared with a couple guys. Now if only one day I could shoot one of these rascals so these same couple guys quit thinking their fakes. Lol

Two 160’s have been shot in my area in the last 10 days. And there’s more. Oh it’s possible.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I moved to Michigan 7 years ago I met an officer in the local police dept. He gave me an air hockey table for me and my kids, told me to swing by and grab it.

Went to his house to p/u the table and he had 7-8 shoulder mounts hanging in his man cave, smallest was in the low 150’s. He had more racks that weren’t mounted, one was a Euro and almost 170, couldn’t find a spot for it that he liked so it sat in the floor. Anyway, he told me he only shot 1 mature buck per year and had been targeting bruisers on a 10 acre piece since about 2000. He was obviously very successful, but he said his neighbors had similar luck every year.

I currently have one neighbor who routinely shoots one 1.5 yo per year, and another neighbor and son who routinely shoot 140”+ deer, often filling tags late in the season.

My point - in the SLP they’re here, and they’ve been here for awhile - but you need to hunt smart and be selective.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts