Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's hard to age them this time of year, and I'm no expert by any means, but that last one looks like he might be wearing his 4th set of antlers.

I would be losing sleep over him!! Good luck with him:)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Big Enough!

I would say 3.5 maybe 4.5 and 130"ish on the larger one. I am no expert, but I would say "SHOOT"!!

Now for the good news. Trail cam photos taken at night, do not excite me at all.

8 to 10 AM - excites me! This means those deer are taking residence on your land.

I have chosen to not put out trail cameras for just this reason! It would be hard to sleep at night.:lol:

·
Registered
26,744 Posts
I saw a group of 4 this morning in Calhoun County that looked just like those.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hard to age them this time of year, and I'm no expert by any means, but that last one looks like he might be wearing his 4th set of antlers.
That's what I was thinking. I have a regular visitor to one of my cams that I believe is a 3 1/2. But that last guy is definately bigger in the body and headgear than the 3 1/2.

I've been staring at those pictures all afternoon and I still can't believe that they are on my property.

Just yesterday I brought home my new Mathews DXT. Hopefully I will get to try it out on one of these guys.:gaga:

·
Premium Member
7,878 Posts
Couple of nice bucks you got roaming around. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The last pic gives the best view to try to age. The buck is showing some belly sag, his neck disappears into his chest, his shoulders and rear gear look powerful. He has all the characteristics of a 4 year old. He is in a mature buck class.
The buck directly above the 4 year old gets me excited as well. He is showing great antler growth but looks to be no more than a 2 year old. If this deer slips by hunters one more year, look out he could be great.
You should be thankful, it seems you have a diverse age group of bucks, a good sign of balance in your herd.
It is nice at least to know that if you wanted to pass the young ones there are older bucks to target, if that is what you are into.
Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a couple more.

I think this is the same buck as the 3rd picture above. Look how close the main beams come to each other.

And I think this is a totally different buck from the above 4 pictures. Look at those g2's!

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Since you are in Van Buren County, I would say that the second buck is 2 1/2 and the first buck is a great 2 1/2 year old or a smaller 3 1/2. After seeing them up close really shows Tine Length. Still nice bucks, but I dont know what you are used to shooting.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Great bucks. Hope for you this best this fall although the one that gets big usually shows his face for the cam in summer and then spends 3 months neck deep in a swamp somewhere. Got a fishin pole?
It sure is exciting to see em this time of year!
Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts