Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the repeat question (I know it was asked before) Where do you all (who use it) buy your BFO? I am buying the name brand. Was wondering where you all, get yours? One more thing, what is the cost per acre?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I bought mine at gander mountain a few weeks ago, on sale for $29, regular price is $39 (they were $29 regular price last year:rant:). A bag covers 1/2 acre.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just bought mine from Kuber's Feed Mill in Menominee for $27.00 a bag. And like previously mentioned, they recommend 100 lbs (2 bags) per acre.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just bought a #50 bag of Plot Spike oats at TSC for $18. It also requires #100 per acre. They also have some fancy words on there bag about deer loving them. Just in case you wanted to save some money. :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Our local farm bureau carries 'regular' forage oats. Does anyone know how these would compare to Buck Forage Oats? We saw yesterday BFO for $29.99/50#bag at a small-town hardware store.
~m~

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Our local farm bureau carries 'regular' forage oats. Does anyone know how these would compare to Buck Forage Oats? We saw yesterday BFO for $29.99/50#bag at a small-town hardware store.
~m~
A couple of years ago I did an experiment. I divided a 1.5 acre plot into thirds. In one third I planted Rye, in another I planted BFO, and the last I planted $7/bag feed oats. I observed deer feeding in the foodplot during the first two weeks of October. The deer appeared to show equal preference to each of the 3 areas of the plot. Between the 2nd & 3rd weekends of Oct. we had our first frost (fairly light). By the weekend both of the sections of oats had turned brown. The BFO did not appear to fair any better than the feed oats. Therefore, I have my doubts about the "winter hardiness" of BFO. In fact, I no longer plant any oats after my experiment. That season I had 2/3 of my main destination foodplot that had nothing to offer the deer. If you are considering oats I would highly suggestion planting rye or wheat instead. The deer like these just as much as they like oats, plus you can still have a nice lush green plot in November.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Many thanks for the information. Question answered for me..... rye it is --maybe a side of wheat ;) (Was not meant as a thread-hijack, Brokenarrow..... we saw the BFO at a 'Do It Best' Hardware store, small town. Not sure if they all carry the BFO or not.) Good Luck with your planting...and hunting over it.

~m~

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try your local farm co-op. They had a 50 lb. bag for $26.00 and change. BFO are expensive. They wouldn't sell me less than 50 lbs, so I didn't buy it this year. I only needed 20 lbs. to use in a mix for a 1 acre food plot. So I just put in regular oats. I got 20 lbs. for $3.00.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Standish Milling is the distributor for Michigan 989-846-6568. I believe most retailer's that carry it in Michigan get it from Standish Milling. I know for a fact that Gander Mountain gets it from them.

As for me....I go with wheat now. Mix in some rape and purple top turnips and you have yourself an awesome fall plot. It will be nice and green in the spring before the woods starts to green up.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I bought my from Standish, only the regular stuff, and used it for summer plot and the deer destroyed it. Nothing left. Planted it 2nd week of May. Also had buckwheat next to that and they kept that mowed down but it kept coming back. Never saw so much sign this time of year.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW, now I feel like a city slicker walkin into a hometown bar! I paid the $37 a bag at Gander. Oh well, everyone needs to see for themselves what works and what dont in their area. We all know a hundred miles can make a huge food pref. difference.
Last 2 years I planted winter wheat in this plot. I was not extremely happy with the lushness of the plot. Soil was perfect rain was fine just never did fill in both years. Actually I also mixed winter rye in last year also. I figured I would give a plant that I never used before a try. I had nothin better to do Sat. so I decided to actually take a tape measure out and measure this field. I had a sneaking suspition that over the years I have been slowly expanding the size of this plot and not paying too much attention. I think I found out why the plot was very thin. I once measured it at a 1/2 acre. I must of been off. I now get a very accurate reading of .975 of an acre. Glad I bought two bags of oats! This is the reason I went and measured it again (the cost of the bfo). Maybe this year will be better.
Thank for the answers
Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts