Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please pardon the rant.

On Saturday I stopped in at the Walmart on Michigan Ave. in Jackson to pick up my deer tags in advance of firearm season. I requested a single buck tag as well as a private land antlerless tag for firearm hunting in Jackson County (DMU 038). She rang me up and I paid and, frankly, I should've known something was amiss when she never asked for the phone number of the private land owner. Oops, my bad. As I walked away from the counter, I looked at my tags and noticed she had sold me a combo tag.

I went back up to her and politely pointed out the error and asked for it to be corrected, at which point she got very huffy, slapped down a copy of this year's hunting digest on the counter and pointed to a chart saying, "Look, this year the combo license covers antlerless deer, too! There are copies of the digest available if you don't know the regs!"

I pointed to the text above the chart which clearly indicated it applied only to the CWD area. Then I flipped a few pages over to show her that you do indeed need an antlerless deer tag to hunt an antlerless deer with a firearm in Jackson County. She snapped back, "Well, you'll have to go do the return at Customer Service, I can't do that here," and stormed off.

So I went to customer service, returned the combo tags, got my refund, and then went back to sporting goods to buy the correct set of licenses. A different employee rang me up that time, but unfortunately Customer Service hadn't voided the combo tags when I returned them, and I had to wait and call the DNR office today and explain the situation. The gentleman at the DNR was very helpful and quickly voided the combo tags.

All that to say, I really hope she didn't sell anyone else combo tags and actually convince them that was all they needed to hunt antlerless deer in Jackson County. Ideally hunters should all know the regs for themselves, but some would likely take her word as gospel and possibly find themselves with a poaching charge as a result.

(Edit) I've been lurking here for a while, but thought I had posted before now. Apparently not. I wouldn't have made my first post a rant if I'd realized it. My apologies. Also, hello! Great forum here.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I've learned my lesson several times. Won't buy my licenses anywhere but an outdoor store or online. Been screwed too many times. This year the girl skipped the waterfowl survey and woodcock. I even asked while she was doing it. "We don't have a survey anymore?" Her response, "nope". Went out and checked the regs and sure as hell she skipped it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
I won't take the word of anybody unless they can show me in black and white.Guy at Cabela's in the gun library tried to tell me my 10.5" BFR was not legal to own in MI.I said that is strange considering I purchased in MI at a Firearms store and registered it in MI.

Reactions: slowpaya

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your luck. It is a crap shoot these days when it comes to buying licenses. In my area Wal-Mart is the best bet. They have 3 people that have worked the sporting goods counter for years. They know the system well and they take their job serious. Some of the worst license service I have been given was in sporting goods stores. It is different everywhere and varies by employee. I would make a complaint to someone higher up. I can definitely say that other Wal-Mart stores I have been to were closer to your experience.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
The Michigan License Sales experience is a disaster in this state. Always check the license and tag before moving from the counter. It is not just the license. A lady in our family that does not hunt was taken by a clerk that knew as little or perhaps less but could sell. Know exactly what you need before buying and stick to your guns!

Reactions: slowpaya
1,119 Posts
I always buy mine at Holiday gas station. The clerks there are hunters too.

·
Banned
12,126 Posts
I always try to buy mine from Shirley at the Brighton Meijer's. She knows that system inside and out. But she isn't always working sporting goods, but she has trained some really good people.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Several reasons most don't work long enough at a License Vendor to know the differences and also they might not be knowledgeable about the different licenses when us Hunters ask for the different ones we are looking to purchase. Most store put anyone in sporting goods to try and cover the department. I and a friend had a similar issue at a Gander Mountain. We want to buy a Bear Preference Point and the Clerk back then said there is no such thing so I did not buy the point there but a friend was also not aware what another clerk and a different store not Gander Mountain and bought a license for the UP... But also we have to Remember the DNR is constantly changing things like DMU Numbers so it is not simple mine has change 4 maybe 5 times over the years. The DNR thinks we all Know the DMU we hunt From but when they keep changing the number Associated with that area makes it Tough to know from year to Year. It once was a 2 digit number and they were for each County Area was a DMU. Then they Split a DMU and then it changed totally to a different numbering system and then to a 3 digit number, then they combine some and that change the number again! I never could understand Why for me I think they do it to Confuse us as Well as to give someone a job to come up with these CHANGES! They seem to Think we know they have changed the Numbering System, maybe for a few but it makes me wonder why they do this like it is common to keep changing the System
The issue with buying an E-License is they do not send out the Hunting Guide with your online Purchases and they seem to make changes to Regs and you are aware of these till someone mentions it because they did buy from a store that has the GUIDE! Sure you can find it online but for the $ they get they should supply a Guide with any License Purchase as to how many ducks you can take, or fish you can take and so on... But they have Never provide any Guide with an E=License yet I would bet the Stores toss out many after seasons are over! So how much is wasted and money lost!
I only buy an E-Licenses now!!! I get just the ones I WANT! And not have to worry about a Store Clerk making a mistake you have to deal with!
Newaygo1

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Why in the world would someone rely on a store clerk when the online process is fast and easy and what you've bought is at your door in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Not sure it is still the same but it used to be when I ordered licenses on-line they didn't come with "sticky backs". Just printed on paper. I didn't like that myself for my deer tags. Is it different now?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not sure it is still the same but it used to be when I ordered licenses on-line they didn't come with "sticky backs". Just printed on paper. I didn't like that myself for my deer tags. Is it different now?
It is true, deer tags are not on the sticky backed paper when bought online. They are on a thicker stock of paper and have a hole in them already to attach to the deer with string or zip tie. I only buy my doe tags at a store nowadays as it is so easy online to get my fishing and combo tag in the spring and then I have my fishing license also on my phone.

·
Super Moderator
36,555 Posts
I agree....

The license is on my phone I don't even have a paper license, there's no reason to deal with those people any longer.
I like to have several paper copies. One in each tackle box/bag, one in the truck, one in the boat glove box, one in my wallet... and of course the digital on my phone. Just in case!!! Yeah I know its overdoing it, but when asked I WILL be able to produce a license and won't worry about having to go get one reprinted at the store.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts