Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know my way around the lower portion of Betsie pretty well but can anyone help me with some access points above the dam(upper portion of the river) where I could launch my small drift boat?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
How far can you carry it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just drive around to any bridge that crosses the river below Kurick rd. There should be multiple “guide” vehicles with trailers at any of the available access points. Without doubt they will be there selling out a once peaceful stretch of water for minimal profit.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Just drive around to any bridge that crosses the river below Kurick rd. There should be multiple “guide” vehicles with trailers at any of the available access points. Without doubt they will be there selling out a once peaceful stretch of water for minimal profit.
Damn man, guys just trying to make a living doing what they love. Salty are we?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Damn man, guys just trying to make a living doing what they love. Salty are we?
It has absolutely nothing to do with doing what you love for a living. More so the neglect of a resource that I see from a number of the guides utilizing this water source.

I spend A LOT of time within this watershed as I live within 15 minutes of it. I enjoy seeing people from all walks of life and geographical locations utilizing it as it should be.

That being said, the past 4-5 years the amount of guides on this river has exploded and some of the ethics displayed by these “guides” is pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It has absolutely nothing to do with doing what you love for a living. More so the neglect of a resource that I see from a number of the guides utilizing this water source.

I spend A LOT of time within this watershed as I live within 15 minutes of it. I enjoy seeing people from all walks of life and geographical locations utilizing it as it should be.

That being said, the past 4-5 years the amount of guides on this river has exploded and some of the ethics displayed by these “guides” is pretty ridiculous.
The whole fishing industry in michigan is just a guiding game anymore. soon this river will be just like the pere marquette. 30-40 boats per day. all hot holing each other. bank fishing is getting better because everyone is on a boat. i have been mostly bank fishing and letting the pontoon and drift boat sit. i get up early and get my hole. then just stick with it rather than trying to find the next best only to have a boat anchored every bend and run.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

I got ya man. I understand where you are coming from and your point makes sense. Didn't mean to push any buttons. Should have worded my original statement differently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spot on! If only they could post some more photos to social media of every single fish caught with every obvious hole location then maybe things would improve...nothing like pimping out the river for a little cash and giving zero thought to the future of the fishery! :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Spot on! If only they could post some more photos to social media of every single fish caught with every obvious hole location then maybe things would improve...nothing like pimping out the river for a little cash and giving zero thought to the future of the fishery! :)
XXL is really bad about this. Posting all the pics and vids that he does. You'd think you'd want to try to keep it just a little bit quiet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anything for $. Pimpin ain’t easy. Also, what a shame that most of those salmon and steelhead are being kept. I have nothing against keeping fish, but keeping a bunch of fish from a river with a high reproduction rate is careless.

·
Registered
85 Posts
XXl does not post a picture of every fish caught or does he keep every fish caught i fish with him regularly and the other day we didn't even keep 1/6 of the fish we caught sounds like u guys just like to hate on a young man that is making a living at what he loves and is very good at. But he sure catchs a lot of fish

·
Registered
256 Posts
The limit is 3 per person. I’ve seen him post pics of a lot of limits. I’m not hating at all, but protecting a resource is important to me. Just because you can doesn’t make it right. I’m too old to care how many fish I catch or how many pictures I can take anymore. Also, this whole I’m making a living off a public resource is overrated. It’s a public resource, not a guide’s resource. Some of these guides should try getting a job that is not a hobby for a bit. Maybe then they would understand why those few precious moments to fish mean so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
XXL is really bad about this. Posting all the pics and vids that he does. You'd think you'd want to try to keep it just a little bit quiet.
Hahaha! He’s so terrible about this. I wonder when he’ll realize he can’t guide any longer on his favorite river because he gave away all his spots on Instagram all for a few hundred “likes”!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also, when will he learn to fish for steelhead with multiple methods? Most established guides I know can fish for steelhead using a variety of methods, not just bobbers. Nothing wrong with fishing bobbers, but xxl seems to be a one trick pony. I’d be very worried about losing my client base as well. Fishing bobbers is one of the easier ways of catching steelhead. Again, nothing wrong with fishing bobbers, but if I were to hire a guide, I’d want someone to teach me some new methods. Learning is the fun part.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So we should outlaw characters state wide because it's a public resource. U guys are funny. Guides that work hard to put people on fish,deer,ducks extra what ever they pursue work longer an hard days then 80 percent of people do an they get to enjoy it. We all had the same opportunity to choose what we do for a living. So don't hate on someone that got it right and looks forward to going to work every day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So we should outlaw characters state wide because it's a public resource. U guys are funny. Guides that work hard to put people on fish,deer,ducks extra what ever they pursue work longer an hard days then 80 percent of people do an they get to enjoy it. We all had the same opportunity to choose what we do for a living. So don't hate on someone that got it right and looks forward to going to work every day.
Not hating on anyone who guides as a profession. Completely respect it and some days am envious of it. What I think most guys aren’t thrilled with is the way said guides given zero regard to things like sustainability and the future of the river system. It’s all about take, take, take and self gratification on social media these days. What happens when the fishing goes to crap after all the pressure? The guides up and leave and find a new system to pimp out and we’re left behind with all the bad fishing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
With so many “characters” fishing and hunting in this state and worldwide, I don’t see outlawing them as a feasible option. I’m glad we could find some common ground. Your generalization about guides working harder than 80% of all other professions and being the only ones who look forward to work I will disagree with, however.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts