Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a report on the Betsie. Any fish in numbers, getting dark yet, more below or above the dam?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was up on the Betsie Tuesday and there was some fish. THe majority of them were moving right on through and wasnt stopping. Not really on the beds.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hey i'll be up fishing the Betsie this sat. morning along with half the other salmon fishers in the state and i just have a question. Are there still fresh fish jetting through the river or are they starting to get old and crusty??? And i was also wondering if the DNR was still partoling the area? Now i know that they need to do thier job, but when i was there two weeks ago a officer stopped my buddy, brother, and i and wanted to see our license. We ofcourse handed them over and figured all was cool until he spotted a problem on my little bro's license. Seems the walmart here in sag. put the date he bought his license under his date of birth (which would have made him about 6months old). The officer instead of just calling it in and doing his job asked if my bro was "just a year old" and then made us wait about 30 min while he figured out the problem. He was just very cocky in the way he talked to us. This is my brothers first year having to buy a license being 17 and all so he really didnt pay any attention to what he had got that day at walmart, and i know he should have and from now on you better believe he will, but the point is he just didnt have to act that way towards us. I dont know if it was our age (17-23 between the three of us) or what, but the older man parked next to us sure as hell didnt get the same treatment. I don't know, point is that i know they have a job to do, and at a place like that with all the illegal things going on that do he has alot on his plate, but his attitude just wasnt appreciated. I get very little time this year to salmon fish with school and family life, i just want this weekend to go better than 2weeks ago did. Sorry i just had to vent a little here, thanks in advance for any info, and everyone, whatever you do, check your license before you leave the dealer. Or this guy will getchya :D

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Its so true about some of those officers. I had a day wrecked by an officer like that on my U.P. trip this spring. The guy was in his 20's and he was up on a power surge like no other. He asked every question twice and interrogated my buddy and I for easily 30 minutes trying to find anything he could get against us. Of course he didn't find anything because I know the rules like the back of my hand but the whole thing was just overkill to the max. It really is a shame that there are those select few dnr guys who think they are king a** of the universe but that's how its always going to be. Those type of guys ruin the reputation for everyone else they work with which is just too bad because I have met a few really nice officers out on the water. To answer you questions, yes there are some fresh fish coming into the river from reports I have heard but most are getting brown. Some of the pictures I saw were of some nice silver fish though. I would still go if I were you. I'm sure you won't be treated the same way again and the salmon are still a riot to catch. Did you get ticketed for the liscense deal?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
No ticket. He just said to go and get it fixed as soon as you get home. I dont know if he thought we were trying to make fake licenses or something or what :confused:, dont know. He was just outta hand. I just leaned back against my vehicle and bit my tongue. On a better note, the trip is still on for sat. and thanks for the info. Hopefully i can get into a couple.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are some fish there. Reel Addiction and I floated it Sunday, and we didn't see many. They weren't stopping at holes; they just kept jetting upstream. Biggest pod of fish, if you could call it that, we saw was about 3 fish...

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
There are some fish there. Reel Addiction and I floated it Sunday, and we didn't see many. They weren't stopping at holes; they just kept jetting upstream. Biggest pod of fish, if you could call it that, we saw was about 3 fish...
Honestly, it looks like every river is a month behind right now. I've literally been out every weekend since the first of August and I've yet to see a "holy cow" type concentration in any river.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Honestly, it looks like every river is a month behind right now. I've literally been out every weekend since the first of August and I've yet to see a "holy cow" type concentration in any river.
Yeah whats with that? Is it that the Salmon numbers are down? After that rain 2 weekends ago the area I fish should have been loaded. There were less fish then there was before the rain.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I agree. i have been out as well every weekend, and have hardly seen fish. the weekend before last, i literaly saw 4 or 5 fish. THis morning i was out on an unmentionable area, and saw a spectacular display of acrobatics with fish just in a feeding frenzy about 60/70 yards off the beach. it looked a school of tuna feeding. it was amazing. and then it just shut right off and the last one i saw roll was probably 1/4 off shore.

are kings know to be like that, or were there some steelhead mixed in there?

So who knows. i guess we'll keep at it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Reel Addiction, did they move in closer at all?

no and i thought they would. they slowly made their way out to deeper water. i was at the place at around 6/6:15 am (forgot my headlamp again) so i went and checked out a few more spots to kill a little time, so i am sure they were there while i was wasting time. i wont do that again.

I am kind of pissed at myself for discounting this spot. i saw more fish there this morning, and sunday when i stopped by than i have in the last 3 weeks on the betsie.

the only other people who were there were two other anglers 200+ yards down the beach

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I agree. i have been out as well every weekend, and have hardly seen fish. the weekend before last, i literaly saw 4 or 5 fish. THis morning i was out on an unmentionable area, and saw a spectacular display of acrobatics with fish just in a feeding frenzy about 60/70 yards off the beach. it looked a school of tuna feeding. it was amazing. and then it just shut right off and the last one i saw roll was probably 1/4 off shore.
That would be awesome. Were you on the pier or the beach?

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
I am not so sure about numbers being down as to holding water being gone.
Its not a surprise that since the T-ville dam blew out that the water below Homestead has been filling in. Plus add the pressure that the stretch below the Dam is seeing. Nothing holds there anymore.
I started watching Salmon go over the dam the second week of August. I spent 10 days up there the first full week of September and the amount of fish that piled over the dam seemed pretty decent to me. There were good numbers jumping every morning and evening we went to check. One morning in particular we watched and counted 100 fish in 27 minutes.
If someone was going to ask me if IMO there were fishable numbers (good numbers) on the Betsie right now. I'd answer that there were great numbers of fish on the Betsie. But if you choose to fish below Homestead you might as well join the ranks of people standing around , scratching there heads trying to figure it all out.:help:
just my 2 cents
wint

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
This is just my opinion, but numbers are indeed down slightly. However, it's not like any river that I fish has had a real big push yet. Also, there really isn't that many fish at the Little Manistee wier either. So, looking at all those things, I'd say the best is yet to come. I've seen years where it's been spotty like this, then something triggers and it's like every fish in the lake suddenly starts shooting up come October. But based on what I've seen thus far, I'd say that several rivers have a lot more fish that'll be coming at some point soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
was up this weekend. I was the stationary guy with 4 young kids hanging around the shore, they haven't shown enough interest yet to buy waders. spent 75% of my time untangling and unsnagging but had a blast. Daughter 13 had bites and son 5 caught small trout. really just learning trip for them. Fish were there down from the dam but had to find correct pools and entice them. ones I did see caught looked like they had been in wars. tons of guys leaving empty handed.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Reel Addiction, I would see if you could go back and find a blitz again! Wade out, cast, and bring that streamer in FAST!

A fast action rod that is overlined would be useful for casting into the wind.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Reel Addiction, I would see if you could go back and find a blitz again! Wade out, cast, and bring that streamer in FAST!

A fast action rod that is overlined would be useful for casting into the wind.

i am. i will most likely pack my stuff and work from up there this week, and fish more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts