Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fishing the Betsie this weekend, I saw a few downed trees that had "Do not Remove" signs tacked onto them. There was some other language on the signs, but it was not decipherable. I had never seen signs placed on downed trees, and one of the trees was so large that it nearly blocked the whole river. Do the signs have something to do with the Betsie designated as a Natural River? Personally, I'd like to take a chansaw to the big one blocking the river becasue I lost few fish that swam under it last year, but that is just selfish thinking on my part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
where were you fishing on the river? if it is where I think it is, it would be because the land owner is sick of guide coming through and cutting out the trees and his brush. he approached me last year because he thought i was a guide and he wanted to have some harsh words with me. i told him that i wasnt and he told me the story. anyways.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
You must have been below Homestead Dam. I believe the signs were put in place by the DNR. They want the trees to remain for their fish cover benefits.

I've seen them while wading, but have never taken a close-up look at them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
whit,
are you talking about the stretch from the dam to 31? i guess it doesnt matter anyways. I was thinking of a different stretch. for cryin out loud! I'm just gonna have to go up tommorrow. I just sent a friend with my gear so i can bring my motorcycle up

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Yes, from the dam down to US31.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes I seen them too. I lost a fish to the tree that goes just about all the way across the river before the bend. There is another one just befrore the fourth or fifth bend also.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The jams below Homestead dam is where I saw them. I think there may be a problem with people pulling log jams out of the river there, since it is kind of a "snaggy" river. I know its sucks to lose fish and flies to snags, but I do understand the fish cover benefits.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
but at the same time, if the trees arent connected to any "dry" part of the land, would this not be considered littering?? personally, i like the idea of placing trees for cover, but at the same time, i do believe that they need to be placed strategically so as not to stop people from floating the river.

i only ask because i am curious...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I dont fish the betsie but i am also curious about the way it works,if a tree falls and blocks the entire river then a land owner cant have the say on leaving the tree in there can he?

even it thats not the case here i would still be interested in knowing the answer about that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trees I saw were on what I believe is state land, but I am not sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts