Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Yes to this....I hear they're supposed to do a movie to finish it since they didn't end it properly within the series. Not sure if that will truly happen though
Actually- that movie was made -with most of the same actors.
I found it on Amazon a while back and bought it.
They did a pretty good job and it was a proper ending for the series I thought.
It’s one of my favorite western series- by the way.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Two that stick in my mind as memorable are Pale Rider and Duel in the Sun.

Reactions: Oldgrandman

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Enjoy watching a lot of westerns, too bad Hollywood wants 1,000 special effects a minute and crazy fast storylines.

Open Range
Quiggley Down Under
Nearly any Clint Eastwood movie
Last of the Dogmen
Silverado
Tombstone
Young Guns 1 & 2 was enjoyable too

Might start a fight but I stand with the earlier post about Robert Duvall vs. John Wayne, Duvall is one of the best actors ever and any role he has been cast in was better than the best performance Wayne ever did.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Stagecoach - the 1939 original version with John Wayne and Claire Trevor.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - Jon Wayne and a very solid cast. Some of the
writing was pretty lame

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Lonesome Dove.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Open Range - not really a Costner fan, but he was ok in this one and as usual
Duvall carried the movie.

Tombstone - Val Kilmer made this movie a good one.

An honorable mention goes to Riders of the Purple Sage, I don't
recall the names of the lead actors, because the book was one
of the first "big westerns" I ever read and I like Zane Grey. I
should read it again this winter.

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
For T.V. I agree with Bonanza but I liked
The Legend of Custer.
Branded
Lonesome Dove
The Rifleman. and Also
The Wild-Wild West.

For films it's hard to say. Open Range and Broken Trail two of the newer ones were both very good. The Ford-Wayne films were all very good as well. But the list would get pretty long.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Nobody mention. The Cowboys. Maybe one of the Dukes best movies.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry to harsh on The Duke, but I always felt he did too much talking and not enough shootin'.

'When ya gotta shoot, shoot.
Don't talk'-Tuco

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
I liked Have Gun Will Travel with Richard Boone as Paladin. He was a real suave gunslinger
Unbeknownst to most TV viewers Palladin actually carried a Browning Hi-Power which certainly made him the "suavest of the suavest" gunslingers of the Ol' West. But then aren't all who tote a Hi-Power suave gunslingers ! :)

13 + 1 in a Hi-Power certainly trumps 5 in a Colt SAA (chamber under the hammer left empty) when the chips are down. ;)

9mm Hi-Power

Reactions: wpmisport

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
My favorite movies are- Heaven’s Gate- Broken Trail- Quigley Down Under- Silverado- Open Range- Lonesome Dove - Tombstone - Josey Wales - A Fistfull of Dynamite.
My favorite TV series are - Hell on Wheels- The Ranch - Yellowstone - Deadwood.

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
Unbeknownst to most TV viewers Palladin actually carried a Browning Hi-Power which certainly made him the "suavest of the suavest" gunslingers of the Ol' West. But then aren't all who tote a Hi-Power suave gunslingers ! :)

13 + 1 in a Hi-Power certainly trumps 5 in a Colt SAA (chamber under the hammer left empty) when the chips are down. ;)

9mm Hi-Power
Okay, we get it. You have a fetish for antique guns.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
I've been watching the wrong program, because Paladin carried a revolver.

What Richard Boone may have carried when he wasn't on the show is something completely different. Just saying....

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
I've been watching the wrong program, because Paladin carried a revolver.

What Richard Boone may have carried when he wasn't on the show is something completely different. Just saying....
But what about the radio version of Have Gun - Will Travel ? Just maybe that's when Palladin carried a Hi-Power. Hmmm...ever think of that...I guess not. ;)

Have GunWill Travel is an American Western series that was produced and originally broadcast by CBS on both television and radio from 1957 through 1963. ... That radio series debuted November 23, 1958, more than a year after the premiere of its televised counterpart.

9mm Hi-Power

Sirius' "Classic Radio Show" carries the radio version - again starring Richard Boone in the leading role - and they're quite well done - compelling stories, dramatic "action" etc..

41 - 60 of 117 Posts