Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new savage 93R17 HMR and want to paint the stock, scope and everything camo. Was told krylon fusion was a good choice, anything i need to know?

·
Hunter gatherer
8,763 Posts
Why not first trying removeable Camo Tape made just for that.
Meijer's has 2" wide rolls in the archery dept.
Try that before possibly/probably mucking it up with the mechanics/screw slots/crevices...something you will never get off easily if you change your mind.
You don't need to cover every nook and cranny, narrow strips on the action and scope - wider ones on the stock and bbl will work.

If you ever wanted to sell it, I don't think anyone would buy a home made spray painted firearm.
Now a well applied dipping kit, that's a different story

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Bought a new savage 93R17 HMR and want to paint the stock, scope and everything camo. Was told krylon fusion was a good choice, anything i need to know?
Use something to make sure all oil is off gun. Prepe is everything.

Use lighter color for base layer and then add other darker colors after that.

If you don't like it, you can always do it over.

I have a shotgun that I rattle canned, gray and then just misted black over it for camo effect. It does the job.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have painted several Rem 870's and all last as long as i ever wanted it to. I know I have a TP crossbow and it gets scratches quicker than my shotgun did. Not to mention painted guns dont rust like unpainted guns.

I always wiped down with something to remove oil. Disassembled and taped off places that didnt need paint and then started with a base color of grey or tan. The like others say use plants or sticks to create little patters with the darker colors.

My 2 cents and its a heck of a lot cheaper than dipping it or sending it to someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Check a gun shop, I want to say duracoat but not sure that's it. Duncan's sells it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Duracoat

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts